To any new members: Welcome!

Discussion in 'General' started by idsnowghost, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Tamaral

Tamaral

Hey all, thanks heaps for putting together this site and the related resources. I just moved to Moscow about 6 months ago and use the Pandhandle Backcountry Weather and Webcams page pretty much every week. So far I've just just been touring at Freezeout, Kootenay Pass, and the Wallowas, but I'm looking for spring trip ideas around St Regis Basin, the Selkirks, and especially the Cabinets.
    Its great to see this much backcountry energy up here in a place that gets so little outside attention! Cheers.
    PowderPanda likes this.
  2. PowderPanda

PowderPanda Staff Member

Tamaral,
    Awesome, glad to hear!
    Also, keep a look out when we start following the Glacier Park Going-To-The-Sun Road (GTSR) late Spring.. Great late season touring up there!

Cheers,
    PP
  3. Stoked to be apart of the forum and discovering the beautiful Mountains of the inner Northwest.
    PowderPanda likes this.
  4. Hi there, been enjoying this site for awhile. Thanks for all the info.
    PowderPanda likes this.
  5. Great site
    PowderPanda likes this.
  6. hi everyone, looks like a great site. Thanks to everyone who is sharing.
    PowderPanda likes this.
  7. Hello Panhandle backcountry.

Myself and my partber arevtravelling through and currently at Scweitzer mountain. Looking at doing some back coubtry but we are new to the area. Looking snow report information and where we cab head for a little back country in the area. Also keen dor a snow kite if anyone does that around here....
    PowderPanda likes this.
  8. Thanks for pulling together this site, it looks like a great resource! I just moved to Moscow a month ago and am looking forward to exploring the area.
    PowderPanda likes this.
  9. PowderPanda

PowderPanda Staff Member

Steph,
    @base815 does snow kite. He just posted on the Great White Death tour report with BigZ.
    The Schizz has good easy access backcountry off of it.. Search the Tour Reports for more info on Schizz.
    We are often asked about easy stuff... well, this is North Idaho.. if you have a sled you can reach great easy stuff.
    Otherwise a lot off of resorts backcountry or off of I-90 in the lookout pass area.
    Checking the Tour Reports for info can be found there.

Welcome to the neighborhood.. It's def an area that takes a little bit of pre-planning here. But it can go a long ways!

Cheers,
    PP
  10. Hello folks I'm Z :)
    PowderPanda likes this.
  11. Like the page. May be looking for some peeps to ski with in silver valley st Joe area
    PowderPanda likes this.
  12. New to this page, I’m glad I stumbled upon this treasure trove of panhandle skiing
    PowderPanda likes this.
  13. PowderPanda

PowderPanda Staff Member

Thanks Greg B.. Welcome to the group!
  14. Thanks for the website. We are visiting in March from Alaska. Any recommendations on a good zone to start? I have +10years experience...my husband is new to backcountry skiing.
    PowderPanda likes this.
  15. PowderPanda

PowderPanda Staff Member

Michelle,
    Awesome! Welcome to the land of plenty!
    Well, the one thing about North Idaho is having a sled get's you to a lot of the prime terrain.
    That said, Lookout Pass has the easiest access areas (search in Tour Reports), the most important thing is knowing how far back not to go in the basins due to avy terrain. Since your husband is new, the terrain on the North side of the hiway (we call the Training Grounds, otherwise known ass the FAA towers) has super easy access and nice terrain.
    Also, a lot of the resorts have some easy access outside of them (Lookut pass you can get a $9 one way ticket to the top and head back (again too far back requires full avalanche knowledge).
    Schweitzer Mtn has great stuff as well (there is a map of that terrain in Tour Reports as well).
    I will note, typically in March things stabilize nicely, depending on if we have new storms, again Level I or II avy knowledge would be preferential there.

Cheers,
    PP
  16. Hi folks! We have w cabin on Priest Lake and have started to come out during winter to explore via touring.