To any new members: Welcome!

Hello everyone. My name is Josh and I was a full time professional ski patroller and bike patroller for 19 years. Just moved to the Sandpoint area 2 years ago. Looking forward to figuring out the backcountry here and meeting some of you.

Howdy everyone! I’ve dipped my toe into the backcountry and I am completely intrigued. Not really done with this season yet. Finally picked up a dedicated touring setup (though maybe a week too late?) and I feel like the best way to learn more is to join this community.

Hi all. Just moved to Idaho in May. Waiting for the snow to arrive (Hopefully soon). I will be skiing mostly at Silver and Lookout this season, but would love to do some tours in the area. I have been skiing backcountry for many years, but not much in this area. I have AVY 1 and 2 plus all the supplemental courses, and plan on doing some refreshers later in the season.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Hi all. Just moved to Idaho in May. Waiting for the snow to arrive (Hopefully soon). I will be skiing mostly at Silver and Lookout this season, but would love to do some tours in the area. I have been skiing backcountry for many years, but not much in this area. I have AVY 1 and 2 plus all the supplemental courses, and plan on doing some refreshers later in the season.
Welcome to Panhandle Backcountry and the area. @PowderPanda and I both ride up at Silver, so hopefully we will see you out there. If you want to get a feel of the sidecountry touring directly around Silver the Refresher Class held there by IPAC is a great idea. Also a good way to familiarize yourself with the snowpack locally.

Last edited:
Welcome to Panhandle Backcountry and the area. @PowderPanda and I both ride up at Silver, so hopefully we will see you out there. If you want to get a feel of the sidecountry touring directly around Silver the Refresher Class held there by IPAC is a great idea. Also a good way to familiarize yourself with the snowpack locally.
You are referencing the avy 1 refresher? Thanks

idsnowghost

Staff member
You are referencing the avy 1 refresher? Thanks
Yeah, basically you spend the entire day touring outside the resort and "refreshing skills" along the way. It's a smaller group size as well.

I'll be helping out at a few Level 1's at Silver again this year, but not the Refresher.

Yeah, basically you spend the entire day touring outside the resort and "refreshing skills" along the way. It's a smaller group size as well.

I'll be helping out at a few Level 1's at Silver again this year, but not the Refresher.
Good to hear, Mike. I'll actually get to meet you IRL. The Refresher schedule doesn't work for me this year, so running through the whole course again will be mine.