Total noob (its me)

Hey guys,

I'm 100% new to all of this. I have all of my avalanche equipment and I'll be taking an AST 1 course pretty early in the season. I just invested in a splitboard setup and I've been trying to work myself into enough shape to get out there and be good for a decently long tour. I would love a mentor thats willing to deal with my total noobness (and likely slow-er-ness) and willing be to show me a few areas I can ride.

Thanks!

Hi KatrinaandRocket,

The Spokane Mountaineers puts on a BC 101 class mid-winter that can often be a helpful jumping off point for people to connect with other locally and acquire some knowledge. I see you are jumping in a AST 1, which is also a good move. I know the mountaineers was one place for me where I met up with some people to get better acquainted with the area, skills, etc. You can attend a few things they put on before becoming a member (kind of a try before you buy). Just a few thoughts. Once the BC 101 dates are firmed up I'll post them to the pandhandle site here. Take care and keep the winter stoke alive!

lec4

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hey guys,

I'm 100% new to all of this. I have all of my avalanche equipment and I'll be taking an AST 1 course pretty early in the season. I just invested in a splitboard setup and I've been trying to work myself into enough shape to get out there and be good for a decently long tour. I would love a mentor thats willing to deal with my total noobness (and likely slow-er-ness) and willing be to show me a few areas I can ride.

Thanks!

Welcome Katrina!!
What’s your riding level? That will help for understanding who would take you and when.
Some areas work great for a less advanced rider and others are too techinical.

Cheers!!

Hey again guys! Sorry it's taken a while to get back, the holidays got a hold of me.

So, I am attending the Level 1 Avalanche course being held by the Silver Mountain ski patrol over the next two weeks, so I'll be set soon on all of that.

As far as my riding level, I can handle double black powder runs up at schweitzer going down. I haven't done any big jumps/cliffs yet, but those are on my list of goals for this season. It's the touring part I have no experience with, which would likely slow me down quite a bit.

Thank you all for the responses! I sort of didn't expect to get any.

Hi KatrinaandRocket,

The Spokane Mountaineers puts on a BC 101 class mid-winter that can often be a helpful jumping off point for people to connect with other locally and acquire some knowledge. I see you are jumping in a AST 1, which is also a good move. I know the mountaineers was one place for me where I met up with some people to get better acquainted with the area, skills, etc. You can attend a few things they put on before becoming a member (kind of a try before you buy). Just a few thoughts. Once the BC 101 dates are firmed up I'll post them to the pandhandle site here. Take care and keep the winter stoke alive!

lec4

Please definitely let me know about this! I'd love to attend something like that :)