To any new members: Welcome! (legacy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Cyd,
Where are you living? Moscow or Sandpoint? Tons of stuff for good quick day shots in the Silver Valley (Check Tour Reports). Good to have a solid group.. get them to join!! The more time you spend in the backcountry with people that have knowledge, the more you learn. We talk about conditions the whole tour, checking different things.. Don't always rely on just a snow pit (which is what AIRE teaches).
Again.. Welcome aboard!!

idsnowghost

Staff member
Welcome to PBC, cydwhit.

We've got a couple other people on here from Moscow and several that ski from Schweitzer. You might try to hook up with mountainmanID, aka Max. He's in Moscow too. Most of the local BC crowd down there skis out at Freezeout Pass (long slog or sled tow) near Clarkia. As Panda mentions, the Silver Valley isn't too bad to get up to either for other touring options in bigger terrain.

You're gonna hate those trekkers.. but they should be tolerable for short tours out of Schweitzer as you learn the ropes. At least it's better than snowshoes.. used frame bindings can be found fairly cheap if you keep your eyes open.

Getting some backcountry education is a good idea. Class dates usually come out around Halloween, I know there will be several offered this year and I think even UofI may offer a multi-day class of some sort?

Lastly, let us know if we can send you any stickers. Just PM Panda or I and we can mail some down to you.

Hey everyone!

Just moved to Moscow from Denver for grad school, so looking to find some new partners and new areas to ski this winter. I have several years experience of skiing the backcountry, and enjoy everything from light touring/meadow skipping to spring couloir skiing. Willing to drive a few hours for turns... beyond the areas closer to Moscow, also hoping to check out the Selkirks, Lookout Pass region, and Wallowas in northeast Oregon (went hiking there last weekend, and those mountains are awesome!). Looks like the other new member who posted above me is out of Moscow also, so let me know if you'd like to get out this winter.

Also, I know this is a BC site but I do like to ski the resorts as well and have thought about getting a pass. Would love to get some input from you guys on the local ski areas. I have heard some mixed advice so far... Schweitzer appears to be the largest resort with the best/greatest variety of terrain in the region, but naturally is also the most expensive, and about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Moscow. Silver is the closest to Moscow and has the cheapest season pass, but have heard from a couple of people around town that the skiing isn't that great there (but of course they might not know how to hunt for powder in the trees). I've heard some good things about Lookout Pass as well, sounds like they get the greatest amount and driest snow in the region, but the vertical is only about 1,000 ft so the runs probably aren't very long (yeah I know, that's probably the 'Colorado' coming out in me right there). Anyways, each has its pros and cons, so would love to hear your thoughts.

I'm also looking to get some hiking in on the weekends this fall before the snow arrives, so if that interests anyone then hit me up.

Looking forward to getting out there this winter. See y'all on the slopes!

- Alan

PowderPanda

Staff member
Alan,
First.. Welcome aboard!! Glad to have ya here!!
Indeed, vertical here will be shorter than the big stuff you get in Colorado and typically we get West siders coming over here and our snow is so much drier than the Cascade cement… however, we can't compare our intermountain snow quality to CO, but we do get some great pow that is a bit more stable than both Cascade and CO type snow..

Several people from down in Moscow are on here now. BTW.. Have you been schooled on how to say Moscow correctly.. don't say it like the russian city.. the loc's will kill ya! LoL

I hold a pass at Silver, but I will ride anywhere.. Lookout is fun, but mellow.. the best terrain is in the bc to the South of the resort. Schweitzer is the best overall.. but as you noted cost. Mt Spokane is fun, but nothing hard and is packed on the weekends. 49 degrees has awesome trees.. slow lifts. Hit a Powder Friday (closed on Wed/Thurs) and you're in heaven!

Look forward to meeting ya sometime.. maybe get all you Moscowites on a tour!

Hey thanks a lot for the responses and advice. Looking forward to getting out there this winter and meeting you guys, great to know there's a skiing/riding crowd up here! Sounds like some good options for ski areas... had overlooked 49North until you mentioned it, and it's not as far a drive as I had originally thought.

Also excited about the lack of traffic and crowds compared to Colorado, and like you mentioned the intermountain snowpack stability up here should be more predictable than the continental snowpack of the central Rockies.

Mike, the weather page looks great overall, I will brainstorm and let you know what other things could be added. One thing off the top of my head is the SNOTEL accumulation site that an NCAR forecaster came up with, which is pretty cool because it shows the changes in SWE of all the Snotels for 24-hr and 48-hr periods.

http://cires.colorado.edu/~aslater/SNOW/

Otherwise, I'm working on learning the weather patterns up here and would like to start doing some local forecasting once I have a handle on things.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Alan…
We like to talk weather and the areas that get orographic lifting.
Also, St Regis basin (lookout pass) is a convergence zone which is why it gets pummeled! As much snow as Utah in most winters.. People just don't know about it! LOL

Awesome, great to hear there are fellow weather geeks here as well. I'm sure I will learn a few things from you guys regarding local orographics. Good to know about the St. Regis convergence zone!

PowderPanda

Staff member
JP
It was Great Meeting you as well!!
Be sure to come out to the Panhandle Backcountry get together Nov 21st.
Check out the thread on this forum!!

hi all,
Just found mention of this site on splitboard.com. Exited to find a local group. Just got a new split board setup and
am exited the get back in shape and take the rust off the bc skills.
I'll be exploring the back of 49n this year as my wife Becki is teaching there sun.-mon. this season.
We're out of sandpoint but can't afford a schwietzer pass the last few years, I will buy another spring fling this year however, great deal.
Would love to go out with a organized group this year. I'm no stranger to steep gnarly terrain but haven't been earning many turns in recent years so I'll be a bit slow with some excess pounds:rolleyes:
looks like I just missed the get together:( maybe?
Troy

PowderPanda

Staff member
hi all,
Just found mention of this site on splitboard.com. Exited to find a local group. Just got a new split board setup and
am exited the get back in shape and take the rust off the bc skills.
I'll be exploring the back of 49n this year as my wife Becki is teaching there sun.-mon. this season.
We're out of sandpoint but can't afford a schwietzer pass the last few years, I will buy another spring fling this year however, great deal.
Would love to go out with a organized group this year. I'm no stranger to steep gnarly terrain but haven't been earning many turns in recent years so I'll be a bit slow with some excess pounds:rolleyes:
looks like I just missed the get together:( maybe?
Troy

Troy, Welcome aboard!! we are meeting tonight at at the Seasons restaurant in CDA at 630p. But we will also be at the Backcountry Film Festival put on by SOLE so come out there if it is closer!!

Well, the good news is you live in the mecca of backcountry.. up there you have plenty to choose from. We are getting more members from that area which is great so you could connect.

Feel free to post when you are going out on the Touring Partner forum, or ask others if they are headed out as the season progresses!

I've been lurking on the sight since I found it last winter. Props to Mike and Panda for the website. Very good info and a valuable resource. I am a fellow splitboarder panda! Mike I think I met you last winter when you lapped me hiking up the Spo. Anyway good to be here and look forward to getting out. Oh ya saw the cat post. Lets all put in on it! Brought back some memories. I went out with Steve (previous owner) once to lookout. Threw a track in deep snow what an experience. Would love to be part of tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.