To any new members: Welcome! (legacy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Mike… Awesome to have a gear guy on. I'm sure it would be beneficial for many people as touring gear is different than resort gear!!

idsnowghost

Staff member
Hey guys, new to the site but not the area. Lookin forward to meeting some of you guys and gettin out a bit more. Actually probably have met a few of ya before, I work at the Alpine Haus so if you have any gear questions I'd be happy to help.
Welcome to Panhandle Backcountry, Mike!

Probably have seen you in Alpine Haus once or twice. I haven't been into the shop yet this fall, but live just nearby and won't take my skis to anyone but Fred. ;)

Hopefully we'll see you out in the mountains this winter or hook up for a tour.

Hey everybody - just stumbled across the site - stoked to find it! Great resource! I'm a bit farther away at Fairchild AFB, but I dream about getting out in the BC just about every day. Bit of a limited weekend warrior guy (family and such!) but I'm excited to hopefully get out with some of you guys.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Sarge… You're not that far away!! Just make ya get up a little earlier!!! Where do you originally hail from? Are you a skier or snowboarder?
Welcome aboard...

Thanks for the welcome! I'm a skier, originally from Wisconsin. No, I'm not really a packer fan. I've been doing the backcountry thing for about 3 years now, no AIARE courses or anything, just get out and play safe in the trees mostly. So much fun though! Good to meet everyone.

Hey guys, Im a junior at CHS, a very experienced skier as far as inbounds but im a newbie to the backcountry deal! I've only done side-country stuff for a little over a year, but im definitely looking forwards to doing some weekend trips this year after my AIARE level 1 course. Im also starting a backcountry skiing club at my school to hopefully recruit some more touring partners! Hope I can get out with some of you guys this winter!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Sarge,
Check with Idaho Panhandle Avalanche Center and get into an Intro course. Really good info at no cost!! Kevin Davis runs the show.. I'll see what he ash coming up as well.

Garret.. Good to see the youth take a proactive approach. When you get your club started, you also should reach out to Kevin Davis and have a Avy Introduction class done. It would be good refresher after your AIARE. BTW.. Mad Respect for doing it. You'll learn a lot!

Do both of you have your any gear yet? I have a spare if my GF isn't going with me and someone tags along.

Panda, I'm all set on gear. So far, finding people who are willing to make the gear investment is the biggest challenge to finding touring partners so far. That's why this forum rules.

Sarge I'm in the valley, also limited weekend warrior between school and full time work, I'd be down for makin some turns, just upgraded skis and now i don't have skins, so i guess im worthless for a minute haha

PowderPanda

Staff member
Awesome guys… "Mike Lowry" (still hear Martin lawrence voice when I type that) just needs to get himself some skins!! LoL

We might need to do a mini gathering soon on a Sat/Sun!

Another new guy here! Just joined and excited to get into backcountry. I am looking at an Avy class sometime very soon (Local or head up to Nelson.) Looking forward to hopefully meeting you guys. I need to get my split board off of Lookout Mountain :)

PowderPanda

Staff member
Bobby.. Welcome aboard!!
Get your gear.. Check out Idaho Panhandle Avy Center or AIARE site for Level I courses. Check out our "Know Before You Go" section in the lower right hand corner of the front page.
Sounds like you're like me.. I ride my split at resorts and BC now. Don't even use a solid much at all these days. Allows me to be versatile. Being new, be sure to talk with peeps or hook-up with someone who's going out. Sounds like you have ore are acquiring your bc gear too..

Hello Panhandle Backcountry!

I have been skiing for a while but am just starting to get into the backcountry. I have hiked Big Blue several times and spent a considerable bit of time in AO cliffs out of Schweitzer as well as hiking Moscow Mountain a lot. This year I am looking to get into a lot more BC, mainly around Schweitzer but also in anything else in the Sandpoint area. I am trying to figure out where to take an Avy 1 class and get reasonably priced gear. This year I am planning on just going with day wreckers and a beacon and probe I can rent from University of Idaho. Any and all advice is much appreciated!

I am trying to figure out where to take an Avy 1 class and get reasonably priced gear. This year I am planning on just going with day wreckers and a beacon and probe I can rent from University of Idaho. Any and all advice is much appreciated!
Welcome cydwhit! Good to see another Sandpoint area skier here!

NIC's Outdoor Pursuits and SOLE both do Level 1 classes. I believe NIC's classes are AAA, and SOLE's AIRE, but this usually only matters as a work credential for Level 2+. The IPAC website usually has some info on local classes in the winter too.

Also, what kind of gear are you looking for? There's a classified section on here that might help.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Indeed.. Welcome Cyd!! And good to see you post ColdSmoker.
Good chance we will be getting something together with SOLE (Selkirk Outdoor Leadership & Education) this year for both LVL I and LVL II. As we get closer, we will get it posted for everyone to see. I plan on making a post specifically for those interested in LVL I to get a head count.. I know of several now.
I have done both avy training and actually prefer AIRE.
As for touring… Just let us know.. Post in Tour Partners. Best to get in something early in the week during the storms as people make plans fast.. There is a lot up North there and Mike and I were just talking about a group trip on the Priest lake side to Pencil Chute and surrounding area this winter…

As ColdSmoker noted, we have a classified section, also try http://www.geartrade.com

Awesome, thanks guys. I have a small group I usually shoot photos and ski with and we are all trying to get going on BC stuff this year. Just bought "Staying alive in Avalanche terrain" and am stoked to get in some kind of class so I will keep an eye on the forums. I got up to Scotchman's a few weeks ago and am heading out toward Keoke lake tomorrow, both areas that I really want to check out this winter. For now I am just looking for cheap day wreckers until next season when I can afford a real setup, I will check out the classifieds, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.