Thanks for the resource

Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere but the link above doesn't work for me.

I bought an uphill pass and was wondering how folks will be skinning up from the backside (Northwood) area. The uphill policy shows a route coming up Trail 140 then onto Jim's Gem run. Are folks taking the road to 140, hugging the ski area boundary, or skinning up somewhere in-between? Coverage can be thin down low plus the terrain is gullied so early season skinning could be an adventure.

Specifically how are people getting from the bottom of Northwood to the uphill route (yellow arrow below) since you can't go up Big Timber by the looks of it.
Untitled.png

idsnowghost

Staff member
The Northwood route is new for this year.. I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to work? It seems like it's providing access from Saddle Junction area? I will try to find out more..

We did get a route from lodge 2 to 1 added though (opens up tours to Beer Mountain too!)

Thanks! Taking the access road to 140 would be a long skin (~3.5mi). Looking at it the best option might be to set a track above the access road between the two draws and up to 140, then take 140 to the uphill route shown on the map. Untitled.png

idsnowghost

Staff member
I think you are on the right track to interpret skiing uphill out of bounds to that entry point on Jim's Gem.

Once we get a bit more snow, I'm down to explore some routes on foot.
As long as it stays out of bounds, I think this would be my ideal route if it's not too thick down low in those trees (690' over .73mi).

Allows skiing the whole backside and avoids the flat and often wet/gloppy chair 4 road:

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 9.23.26 AM.png

The Northwood route is new for this year.. I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to work? It seems like it's providing access from Saddle Junction area? I will try to find out more..

We did get a route from lodge 2 to 1 added though (opens up tours to Beer Mountain too!)
Pardon my ignorance, but which one is Beer Mountain? Just moved here...