North Idaho Avalanche Course List 2022

idsnowghost

Staff member
Updated 1/25/22-- more classes will be added as announced. See full list on the 'Know Before You Go' section.

There's quite a few options to choose from this year for avalanche education in our area!

The AIARE/AAA Level 1 course is a 3 day/24 hour introduction to avalanche hazard management. Students can expect to develop a good grounding in how to prepare for and carry out a trip, to understand basic decision making while in the field, and to learn rescue techniques required to find and dig up a buried person (if an avalanche occurs and someone in the party is caught).

Local Avalanche Courses: (full course list here!)

Idaho Panhandle Avalanche Center
  • AAA Avalanche Level 1
    Dates: January 15 - 16, 2022
    Cost: $375
  • AAA Avalanche Level 1
    Dates: January 22 - 23, 2022
  • AAA Avalanche Level 1
    Dates: January 29-30, 2022
  • AAA Avalanche Level 1
    Dates: February 12-13, 2022
  • AAA Avalanche Level 1
    Dates: February 19-20, 2022
  • AAA Avalanche Level 1
    Dates: February 26-27, 2022
  • AAA Avalanche Level 1 Refresher
    Dates: January 17, 2022
    Cost: $150
    Dates: February 5, 2022
    Dates: February 6, 2022
    Dates: February 21, 2022
  • AAA Avalanche Level 2
    Dates: March 25-27, 2022
    Cost: $500
  • Wilderness First Aid for Winter Backcountry Users
    Dates: March 5-6, 2022
    Cost: $300
  • Wilderness First Aid for Winter Backcountry Users
    Dates: March 12-13, 2022
    Cost: $300
  • AAA Avalanche Rescue Fundamentals
    Dates: December 18th, 2021
    Cost: $110
  • AAA Avalanche Rescue Fundamentals
    Dates: December 19th, 2021
    Cost: $110
More info:
(208) 263-5111
https://www.idahopanhandleavalanche.org/friends-ipac-avalanche-safety-courses/

Selkirk Powder
  • AIARE Avalanche Level 1
    Dates: January 8-9, 2022
    Cost: $450
    Dates: January 22-23, 2022
    Dates: January 29-30, 2022
  • AIARE Avalanche Level 2
    Dates: TBD March 2022
  • AIARE Avalanche Rescue
    Dates: December 18, 2021
    Cost: $200
  • AIARE Avalanche Rescue
    Dates: December 19, 2021
  • AIARE Avalanche Rescue
    Dates: TBD in January/February 2022
More info:
(208) 263-6959
http://selkirkpowder.com/avalanche-courses/

University of Idaho Outdoor Program
  • AAA Avalanche Rescue
    Dates: January 29, 2022
    Cost: $110 (Students $85)
  • AAA Avalanche Level 1
    Dates: February 19-20, 2022
    Cost: $350 (Students $300)
More info:
(208) 885-6810
https://www.uidaho.edu/current-students/recwell/outdoor-program

Complete list of local avalanche courses is listed on our 'Know Before You Go' section!

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I just took the Level 1 class from SOLE in libby. I can honestly say that the experience exceeded my expectations in every facet. $325 is a small price to pay for this program, the entire weekend was packed with invaluable information and crucial hands on experience. I drove back to spokane feeling like I stole from them. Haha! If anyone out there is on the fence about signing up, please pull the trigger. You will NOT be sorry.

PowderPanda

Staff member
For what it's worth, I just took the Level 1 class from SOLE in libby. I can honestly say that the experience exceeded my expectations in every facet. $325 is a small price to pay for this program, the entire weekend was packed with invaluable information and crucial hands on experience. I drove back to spokane feeling like I stole from them. Haha! If anyone out there is on the fence about signing up, please pull the trigger. You will NOT be sorry.
Huck&Check,
I passed this on to Dennison. He's much appreciative of it!!! Stoked you got yours done!!! Welcome to the club!

Huckandchuck I also took the Level 1 class from SOLE and I would definitely second your opinion.

PowderPanda

Staff member
That's so awesome to see the representation here on our site!!! Nice work guys!!
And Garrett.. for a high schooler.. awesome!!

Dan… Welcome to the site!!!

Just to echo what huckandchuck and Dan H said. Thoroughly enjoyed the AIARE Level 1 course that SOLE put on last weekend. Dennison runs a great operation and the course instructors (Kip and George) were extremely knowledgeable, professional and patient with the newbies! I would highly recommend taking the AIARE course from SOLE. I know that I still have tons to learn but this course definitely made me more confident with my decision making in the backcountry!

PowderPanda

Staff member
I've forwarded all these comments to Dennison of SOLE. He is super stoked and thanks everyone for the positiveness he's received from Panhandle Backcountry people!!!! The members make Panhandle Backcountry #1!!

Here's another option for you guys on a quality avy course.
Myself and 4 of my buddies did a CAA AST 1 course this last weekend.
Our course was organized thru Big Red Cats in Rossland BC and Kootenay Avalanche Courses, Keith Robine is the instructor.
2 full days, 1st day is half classroom half field work, the second day is a Cat ride into Big Red Cats tenure. Then skiing, touring, slope assessments, decision making, beacon searches etc, etc.
Very full day, and you will feel like you have the ability to make the correct decisions when in the back country by the time you are done! I really liked the way the class was taught, the extremely practical way the material was presented and put into practice in the back country.
I don't know what their openings are like for the rest of the season, but the class is $215.00 Canadian which works out to be a real deal with the current exchange rate.
Here is there website if anyone's interested.
http://kootenayavalanchecourses.com/

And by the way the skiing/ boarding was EXCELLENT! 1.5 meters or more on the ground where we were on Saturday and it was really coming down in the afternoon. I think they were predicting 10 cm that evening with more on Sunday.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Kevin Davis teaches it, so it should be a quality class! ;)

It's not an AIARE course though, so materials and content will differ a bit. But, I'm pretty sure it still satisfies the pre-req (along with new rescue course) for AIARE's level 2 if you plan to switchover.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Updated with this year's offerings. Only one Avalanche Rescue course on the books so far, and it's not exactly local. Hopefully this will change soon!

There's also plenty of courses offered just outside of our area in Whitefish, Missoula, Rossland, Nelson, Leavenworth and Snoqualmie Pass.