Glacier National Park trip 2016

idsnowghost

Staff member
Might be in whitefish this Sunday/Monday. How is terrain right out of Avalanche campground?
Non-existant this time of year. Need to get up towards Logan Pass to find anything skiable. Depending on how much time you have, might look outside the park at Jewel Basin near Hungry Horse.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Open this morning, with some new snow on the pass:
13445312_10153787325854912_4837998500183278942_n.jpg

How do easy is it to find terrain to hike around Logan pass? Nothing serious just looking for fun turns with sweet views. Boys 17,14.
It should be pretty obvious when standing in the parking lot -- try searching the site for photos from some of the previous trips. Boots/skis on from the lot.

I'd bring skins if all of you have them for the flat approach -- but people do walk it also. If you boot anything steep, something to self-arrest is needed. You should see plenty of other skiers getting after it.. Have fun!!

This link says road is open
https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/roadstatus/roadstatus.cfm

We will be around Monday looks like. Taking my sons to mtb whitefish. How do easy is it to find terrain to hike around Logan pass? Nothing serious just looking for fun turns with sweet views. Boys 17,14.
If you don't mind please let us know how the conditions are/were. A friend and I are planning on heading out next weekend to poke around a bit if it seems like things will still be decent.

Awesome... Let us know how it was. You're going to enjoi it!!
It was a great time and I'm looking forward to getting out there when you can see. I'm definitely not going to complain about late June turns. :D

We arrived to this:
image.jpeg

After a few hours of driving around we came back to improved visibility, that allowed us a few laps before the sticky fresh snow wore us down. During a break in the clouds I took this awesome selfie for you all.
image.jpeg

This picture is on the side of Clements, at least according to my GPS at the time.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
We saw a grizzly on Many Glacier road; we were in the truck but way too many people were out of their cars taking pictures of it before we arrived.