Glacier National Park trip 2016

PowderPanda

Staff member
OK Kids... count down begins.. They have started the plowing on Going-to-the-sun-road. I will do updates as the progress. As in previous years.. they progress, then a big late Spring storm rolls through avalanches tens of feet on the road.

With that.. This means we will begin figuring out when to go. it is pretty much guess as to when they open, mid-June to mid-July.

This is an awesome time with skiing/riding for all abilities.. From extreme to mellow rolls.

The plan will be to get large area for us to camp and mingle!

Road progress:
http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/gttsroadplow/gttsroadplowstatus.cfm

PowderPanda

Staff member
this sounds like a really fun event! How many days typical? Thx

As many as you want... You can actually drive up Friday, ride Sat and then a quick tour on Sunday morn, then get back home before dark! There are tours that are less than an hour.. Sometimes the longest part is the drive up depending on tourists. That's why camping works best!

PowderPanda

Staff member
NOTE: The plowing has stopped twice in the last 2 weeks due to avalanche activity. The warm weather is causing a lot of loose slides. New snow coming through this week will cause issues too, but I'm OK with that!!! Hahahaha Build that upper pack!

04/30/16 Note:
Well, more avy's this week.. they got snow up there on this last system. If I were a betting man... I'm gonna guess right now for weekend of June 17th (Father's Day). Maaaaaybe the week before! IMO

Last edited:

PowderPanda

Staff member
Well, good and bad news. The West side crew is at Logan pass, East side seems to be a bit stalled. Just read an email from DaveG with GNP Physical Scientist and they have had quite the avy cycle this year, with large wet slides propagated off of large glide avalanches. A very interesting note was that 5-6 slides off of Heavens Peak occurred in the dark between 930pm and 630am (seen on a time lapse camera).
Although a different range, something that we should be noting in our area. On 04/09/16 in a pit I dug I noted that the faceted layer at the base was still there protected by a crust layer. This gets very technical, but essentially, larger navy's are stepping down to the ground.
Note, this cycle has been seen all the way down to the Pintlers.

Most likely, not a year to grab any classic big lines. But we'll see how things settle out going into the next few weeks.

Check out photo's from plowing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/glaciernps/sets/72157664781759964

Cheers

Last edited:
Well, good and bad news. The West side crew is at Logan pass, East side seems to be a bit stalled. Just read an email from DaveG with GNP Physical Scientist and they have had quite the avy cycle this year, with large wet slides propagated off of large glide avalanches. A very interesting note was that 5-6 slides off of Heavens Peak occurred in the dark between 930pm and 630am (seen on a time lapse camera).
Although a different range, something that we should be noting in our area. On 03/06/16 in a pit I dug I noted that the faceted layer at the base was still there protected by a crust layer. This gets very technical, but essentially, larger navy's are stepping down to the ground.
Note, this cycle has been seen all the way down to the Pintlers.

Most likely, not a year to grab any classic big lines. But we'll see how things settle out going into the next few weeks.

Check out photo's from plowing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/glaciernps/sets/72157664781759964

Cheers
Thanks for the info Larry, pretty interesting stuff! Hoping if GNP opens up soon enough, I still may be able to sneak in a day or two of sliding before the wedding!

PowderPanda

Staff member
So when is the trip this year?.
Teledance,
How the heck are ya!? We are watching and waiting for the opening of the GTSR.. Should be open by end of month. They've had a lot of slide activity this year, in different ways than in prior years. Which has slowed them down on numerous occasions.. even as late as last week.

that faucet head isn't going anywhere :D, it will wait for you
Ah but the stream from the leak is costing $$ and the hot weather is coming. Still another day older without skiing is frightening.
Well dang, I just came to my senses, and remember the 2014 storm so not going this weekend due to the projected storms expected this Fri & Sat. 6/17&18, and the following weekend is booked.

Last edited: