Glacier National Park- Logan Pass Annual trip

Wish I could join. Glacier is an incredible place to ski. Just an FYI, but when I was there last weekend, the bulletin said the earliest they would open the road for it's entire length, regardless of snow, is June 19th due to road rehabilitation. I don't know if that means just portions of it will be closed (such as the east side), but access to Logan will be permitted or if it meant all the way to the pass. I didn't call or do any homework past what I saw, but I just thought I'd make sure this was known.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Wish I could join. Glacier is an incredible place to ski. Just an FYI, but when I was there last weekend, the bulletin said the earliest they would open the road for it's entire length, regardless of snow, is June 19th due to road rehabilitation. I don't know if that means just portions of it will be closed (such as the east side), but access to Logan will be permitted or if it meant all the way to the pass. I didn't call or do any homework past what I saw, but I just thought I'd make sure this was known.
Thanks for the heads up Breyden! This won't impact our plans.

It's been like that the past few years. There is construction on the East side of the pass, beyond Logan Pass. West side to Logan Pass has no ongoing construction projects.

Bummer you can't make it!

Awesome! That's what I was hoping was the case. Make sure to post some pics. I'll be working up there this summer and I'll take all the inspiration I get.

I'm in as well - and all for camping if anyone's planning on going that route. Game for carpooling as well if others are coming from the Spokane area.

Question:
Is the intent to ski/ride the 12th - 14th? I.E. - Should I plan on being there Thurs night and leaving Mon? Just trying to coordinate time off from work. Thanks.

I won't be able to make it, my wife and I bought paddleboards so skis are waiting until fall. I'm pumped to see pictures though.

PowderPanda

Staff member
I'm in as well - and all for camping if anyone's planning on going that route. Game for carpooling as well if others are coming from the Spokane area.

Question:
Is the intent to ski/ride the 12th - 14th? I.E. - Should I plan on being there Thurs night and leaving Mon? Just trying to coordinate time off from work. Thanks.

Hey Huck…
Sent ya a PM…

PowderPanda

Staff member
I won't be able to make it, my wife and I bought paddleboards so skis are waiting until fall. I'm pumped to see pictures though.
Raynord.. Cool about the paddle boards. I really want to get one as well. Sucks you're not going! Hope you get good weather as well as us!!

I'll be rolling up from Moscow, I'm down to carpool with anyone but I'm probably going to head to Bozeman and then the Beartooths afterwards so I'd be a one-way ride. Definitely down to camp, be that in some beautiful unspoiled wilderness or in a Walmart parking lot.

Just let me know when to be where doing what and I'm on it!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Cy... Walmart parking lot!!
Hat was funny!! Stoked you're going.. This will be fun!
I think Mike is planning on getting into Avalanche Camp Ground on Fri Eve.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Cy... Walmart parking lot!!
Hat was funny!! Stoked you're going.. This will be fun!
I think Mike is planning on getting into Avalanche Camp Ground on Fri Eve.
So Avalanche may not be open by 6/12.. If that's the case then we'll stay at Sprague Creek just down the road.

Avalanche CG info page: http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/cgstatus/camping_detail.cfm?cg=Avalanche

Sprague Creek info page:
http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/cgstatus/camping_detail.cfm?cg=Sprague Creek

Both are $20 a night, first come first serve.

Avalanche campground does not seem like a good choice for back country skiers. Or maybe I am paranoid? Ha Ha!
I will not be going, sure was going to try but have an annual event that weekend.
looking forward to the trip reports!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Avalanche campground does not seem like a good choice for back country skiers. Or maybe I am paranoid? Ha Ha!
I will not be going, sure was going to try but have an annual event that weekend.
looking forward to the trip reports!
I don't like that your not going Batskj. But your comment about Avalanche Creek Campground is funny!!

Due to some unforeseen circumstances I am now without a vehicle for next weekend. Anyone planning to leave Spokane on Friday after 5pm and come back Sunday that I could ride with? Gas $$ and trail-breaking is included in the deal!!!!

Made the ride up today to see how things were looking. Skied the middle of the finger chutes on Clements. Not super impressed. Hidden Bluffs are holding up really well, but all this heat is ripping the snow out of the hills. Suncups are sizable, and things are pretty slow. Wished I'd had a slush wax.

Might try to join you all if the schedule clears.