Thule/Yakima Cargo Boxes

I am looking at getting either a Thule or Yakima cargo box for the top of the shell on my Tacoma. I am in need of some addtional space when I have dogs in the back and also need it for some trips I have coming up this winter. Does anyone have any preference or experience with either brand? I had a Yakima Rocketbox 12 a few years ago and it was a decent box other than the locking/release mechanism seemed to always want to stick. I am specifically looking at either the Yakima SkyBox LoPro or the Thule Pulse Alpine. One big concern is height since I still want to be able to park the truck in the garage. Looking forward to hear any feedback y'all have. Also, if you know of anyone trying to off-load one please let me know! Thanks!

Panda - Thanks for the info. I saw those guys on Craigslist and that might not be a bad route to go. Once the summer months hit it will just be propped up in the garage collecting dust anyway.

PowderPanda

Staff member
You can wait and see how it works for me in a few weeks. If they are a good set up, I'll talk to them about putting something in here for our members.

Never owned a Thule product but I have an old rocketbox, Skybox Pro 21 and just picked up a LoPro. It might be getting out of hand with roof top boxes around here. Unlike the old rocketbox, the LoPro has dual access which comes in handy. The LoPro is quiet on the road and allows taller vehicles to fit in the garage with the box on. Skis and boards will be no problem in it. Yakima was running a sale and mountain gear had some older models on sale the last time I was in there too.

SelkirkSlayer - Thanks for the info! How about ease of taking the LoPro on/off the vehicle? Can it be done by one person or is the box too heavy/awkward?

epicpow- I took the lopro off solo a few weeks ago and set it on another vehicle for "storage" as I am still awaiting snow. Moving the box from the center and raising it overhead from point A (a vehicles roof rack) to point B (another vehicles roof rack) is easy. Ground to overhead is a bit trickier but far easier (lighter and better balanced) then the Skybox Pro.

The low profile, rear access Packasport is very tempting. Good luck!