Thompson Pass updates (open 2014)

idsnowghost

Staff member
Not the best of news: 5 feet at the top of the pass measured last week, with more over the weekend. The current plan is to open by Memorial Day. Plowing hasn't started yet. (The pass opened this week, last year)

Seems this area might of been the sweet spot for snow totals this year, as it's been pretty deep out at (nearby) Burke Canyon compared to other places we've visited recently.

I'm still hopeful they will have it plowed by Easter, especially after some melting with the warm temperatures this week and forecast for next week.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hope so Mike!!! Meanwhile.. Next on the bucket list? I WILL remember my boots this time! LoL
Need to get the TLT6's dialed for the hard corn season.. Oh, can you send me the pix? Email.. still no cell phone. Ugh!!

idsnowghost

Staff member
Got another update:

As of April 7th there's still 7.5 feet at the pass. 34% above normal snowpack for this time of year.

idsnowghost

Staff member
You might be hiking the last section of the road... ;)

Just got word plowing will begin on April 28th, from both sides. Expected to take 7-10 work days to complete followed by any necessary road repairs.

Sitting in the Denver airport back late tonight chores on Friday, but I am up for a Sat or Sunday ski at the pass. Keep me in the loop. Larry lost your # when I had to wipe the virus.

Last edited:
Well I would still be willing to risk trying but temps dont look favorable for Sat and Sunday just looks crappy but temps would work for an early hit. Option 2 hope to hell the next weekend offers more favorable conditions.
Definitely doing the AM assult tomorrow bright and early.

Last edited:

PowderPanda

Staff member
Teledance, Mike hit it again yesterday at Gold Basin off Gold Hill Summit/ridge.. Said it was really good. Some steep stuff there.. this snow ya need rub on wax though.