The New Guy

Greetings!

Just moved to CDA and I am very excited to learn that there is a backcountry scene, with what appears to be a welcoming community willing to showing others the local lines.

I am in "need" of some new gear. Before I pick it up I would appreciate any insight on the following.

a) How often is everyone getting out? Being new to the area and safety a top priority, the last thing I am willing to do is head out solo. My beacon is worthless in a party of 1. I have tremendous flexibility during the week and was hoping to hook up with others in the same position. Weekends can be limited...unless it dumps of course.

b) Whether it be battling daylight or other commitments, time is always the enemy when it comes to fun. From what I have been told, it is an hours drive from CDA to any parking spot. How long is the average tour? Just trying to get a clear idea and to make sure the basic logistics are covered ahead of time. Previously I knew my BC days would require X hours, no matter what it was always a minimum of X. Just seeing if anyone has any rough guesstimates of your average X.

c) Last one I promise. Is everyone just parking and skiing in or are sleds required?

Any other info is always appreciated!

Cheers!
-Jason

idsnowghost

Staff member
Hey Jason! Welcome to Panhandle Backcountry and the Inland NW!

I'm sure others will chime in, but I'll get things started:

a) You're right, we never recommend going solo. One of our goals here with Panhandle Backcountry is to create a community that facilitates hooking up with like-minded others for tours. As we get closer to winter, activity on the site should increase and make this a bit easier. I personally have flexibility during the week as well, but also tour or ski the resorts on the weekends.

b) You've been told correctly. (Although tours in the Silver Valley are probably only 45 minutes from CDA) Unfortunately, compared to most other winter recreation hotspots our access is lacking. There's not much plowed above 3-4000ft in the immediate area. In many cases this leads to several miles of slogging on logging roads to reach good skiing.

Generally you're probably looking at devoting most of the day to a tour, but there are shorter options too. Lift accessed BC at Schweitzer, Silver and Lookout can be lapped fairly easy/quickly. Stevens Peak and St Regis Basin environs can be reached by parking just off I-90.

c) Most people manage without a sled, it just makes those forest road slogs a bit quicker. However sleds can get you deeper into the BC and into a couple of the more dramatic areas locally.

JasonJ, welcome to the Inland PNW and the Panhandle. I am sort of new to B C skiing but have been on side trips at Silver and Lookout that have been skins and sled rides too, together with down to the freeway and hitchhike back to parking lot etc. Sort of limited only by the lack of local friends who know their way around and your own imagination.

Personally am retired and ski anytime. Usually avoid Saturdays. Am looking forward to skiing with this group and learning the ropes.

Take a look at the St. Regis basin videos that Powder Panda has posted. this terrain is acessed via. Lookout Pass ski area or around it if need be. Presently there is negotiations underway to get a cheap pass to ride chair 1 at Lookout up the hill to access this basin and then ride the backside chair 2 up say in the afternoon to make getting out easier and make the bar at Lookout a good stop on the way to vehicle. this will make skiing the Basin much easier from an acess factor.

Have never skied with Powder Panda but have skied with Mike (far behind him I might add). Teledancer is a very good telemark skier and maybe the most important factor is 1st they are great guys and 2nd really know their way around the hills.

Welcome - look forward to skiing with you this winter.

PowderPanda

Staff member
JasonJ... And I welcome you as well.. I am the splitboarder in the group! Mike summed it up well for you.
Some of the better access is lift serviced through Schweitzer (Hefty lift ticket price though) and then Silver Mtn. Lookout front side lift then riding down the back to the ridge and head straight South gets ya into some pretty sweet stuff.
I #SledtoShred... using a sled to access via the road that is to the East of the resort.. I have a tour report in the noted sub forum ( http://www.panhandlebackcountry.com/threads/st-regis-mini-bowl-tour.105/ ) One of my fav areas... I tracked out a possible new access a few weeks ago via sled... If it works out it will make the sled trip back WAY more fun.
I'll be sure to get in touch for riding days..

Mike, Pete, Panda-

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the tremendous insight. I wish I could say that your posts made the decisions I faced easy.

To complicate matters, I have family that needs lift access and I plan to make turns with them on weekends. The issue is where does one get a pass, if need be. From what I hear, Schweitzer has the better terrain and ski school for the little ones. Then I read that you all are using Silvers lifts, however I see that they are closed mid-week.

Panda- Have you used your sled to access the backside of Schweitzer where the cat services? It is my understanding that it is public land and the trails are open to all. Where I come from the Cat service maintains the roads and the sleds yield to the cats and respects their business, staying away from their tours when they adjust areas. Curious as to how everything works out/up there.

Most important takeaway...if time is limited, a sled is key to gain access.

Thanks guys, looking forward to making turns with you all!

idsnowghost

Staff member
Yep.. Silver is closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Most of us don't complain because we thoroughly enjoy "Powder Thursdays". Schweitzer gets skied out in about an hour or two inbounds after their overnight accumulations. Most people do give the terrain edge to Schweitzer but Silver definitely isn't lacking.

At both Schweitzer and Silver you can do some short tours (under an hour or so) from the ski area boundaries while the rest of the family skis. Both places have plenty of folks you see doing this exactly.

Catski terrain at Schweitzer is mostly private land. No sleds except on the single summit trail. Operator used to yell at folks for simply touring back there but they have toned down on that recently and just ask you keep up tracks to those already established. There are much better places to sled ski.. And the skin back up to the resort ridge is short anyways.

PowderPanda

Staff member
JasonJ... Mike said it.. I've never done that area and it's an unwritten rule to not ride the Snowcat areas. But as Mike noted, lots of access from the resorts that will get you there quicker.
-Schweitzer heading North on the ridge to past Little Blue is one of many...
-Silver is where I have my pass.. 'Cause I got a great deal.. There is a lot of bc areas once at the top of Silver.
-Lookout has access from the the lift heading straight to the South..
-49 Degrees North doesn't have a whole lot of bc from the resort.
-Mt Spokane actually has a small amount of terrain until the new lift is put in.
-Red Mountain BC, 3hrs North has a TON of bc.
-Whitewater, Nelson BC 4hrs North, has super sick bc
There is a mini guide book you can get for the West Kootenay's:

http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/index.php?p=product&id=1&parent=1

Book is a nice guide for easy access tours North of the US border.

Thanks for continuing to share the knowledge and offering up all the excellent resources.

Question, on the days you are riding the resort and exiting the gates, are split-boards/ski-skins required or are you able to make laps, arriving back in or near in-bounds ?

Much appreciated, trying to get a grip on all of this and form a plan of action and gear.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Schweitzer you have to leave through the gates. Silver has a couple gates, but generally you can leave anywhere.

At Schweitzer Big Blue is about your only option. It still requires a bootpack on a cat road but no skins. Long, fun vert but need to ride 2 chair lifts and the t-bar to lap!

At Silver there's a few areas like this, including a catch traverse (skiers only) that is not on trail maps. Any local can show you, its fun but short vert.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Also with Silver... if you have splitboard, you can make that area a little longer.. sometimes worth it.. As for the "skiers only" catch traverse.. I hit it short until the skiers pack it out... then if ya have good wax and no dumbasses in front of ya taking their time with headphones on (lol Mike was there for that one..)... as well as some poles, you can make the long portion...

Any idea on number of resort days and bc days you guys get in a season? I know Panda said he gets a "great deal" on his Silver pass which I am sure makes the decision a no brainer. Just trying to determine how much use one would get out of a pass. Mike, are you purchasing single day tickets and keeping options open based on snow?

idsnowghost

Staff member
Silver pass is right around $250 in the Spring.

I've got passes at Silver and Mt Spokane but visit all the local ski areas. Schweitzer is a bit far for me, to make it up there often enough to buy a pass or I would.

Liftopia.com is a good option for midweek tickets at below window cost. Schweitzer sells 3 pack lift tickets at the ski shows for $139 (at least they did the last 2 years).

Just another local and most of my ski days are mixed BC at Silver, Lookout not so much but St. Regis is easy to access with a single ride ticket. Scweitzer has some nice riding and more competition for it. Burke has some nice BC riding up the canyon it actually has plenty for the energetic or those with sleds.
Welcome be safe out there.