Split SplitboardMag.com 20 Boots & Bindings

PowderPanda

Staff member
Mike,
I plan on getting a hard boot set up for Spring touring. Give me better purchase and less issues with my ankle. But the Ranger binding have similar attributes. Using the tour mode for Dynafit AT boots.
I'm going to see if I can get a convertible setup with Ranger so I can use Soft in the winter and then a AT for hard spring snow.

Panda- Did you order the phantoms? I believe they have started shipping. I spoke with John earlier in the year and the set up looks killer. As a hardbooter who is sitting on a stache of old Burton plates and bails, I figured if the desire to venture in the BC on plates struck me I would order some pucks and go that route first. Not sure about your specific ankle issues however the chatter on early morning firm spring crust might irritate your ankle like no other. Arching turns on groomed hero snow in the spring is one thing, bc mine fields...I think I will stick to softies.

Just curious which way you went with this as I constantly go back and forth arguing setups in my head.

PowderPanda

Staff member
JasonJ…
No, I'll get into the hard boots later most likely. I could totally understand the chatter. It's not that, I have essentially half an ankle and instead of 4 tendons running to the foot, I have only 2, others were destroyed.. Yadda Yadda.. So getting purchase on hard pack while skinning and then tow side turns are effected sometimes.
I am getting some Ranger bindings to try.. Which have a different touring set-up (tech standard like ski tourers) and the connection is way different. I'll be sure to post info on them after a few tours..

I figure the hard boots will wait until late season and I'll have time to research them. What kind of boots do you wear? THAT is my biggest unknown!

I have a new pair of TLT6 for skiing and an old pair of softies (DriverX) for split. I have never hard booted in the bc. All of my hard boot days have been spent on alpine boards. I have been intrigued at the idea of hard boots for the "rumored" uphill performance when touring on a board however I am not ready to give up the free ride "surf" feel when it gets deep.

PowderPanda

Staff member
LoL.. Amen to that.. Back in the late 90's when clickers were big there was no way I'd ride them because I didn't want to lose the feel either. I love straps and always will. Such a sweet surf feel in pow!
Even with softs.. I can rail a turn almost as good as a hardbooter.. Just that damn tendon area nowadays isn't giving me the purchase I used to have on hard snow. And I do a mad amount of calf raises to strengthen that area.

I'm interested to see what the snow is like this weekend... Hoping to find some area that wasn't affected by rain

K2 Clickers/Burton Step-In and rear entry ski boots are two things that bring a smile to my face like no other when I see them still in action at resorts today. Bring on the snow!

(first of all, sorry for my english )I saw your posts about split board boots, I don't know if you use the kind of stuff we have here in France : personally I use Deeluxe Sparks XV (see here : http://reliefmountainshop.com/index.php/produits/splitboard/deeluxe-spark-xv-t26-5-detail)
Usefull stuff, very hard shoes, perfect for backcountry, big mountain and comfortable for hiking. It already has Vibram sole for climbing rocks and cliffs and you can clip studs (useful for icefall and glacier)

I hope this should interesse you ;)
See ya !

PowderPanda

Staff member
Jonathan.. Great to see you on here!!!! And your English is fine!!
I almost bought a pair of Deelux Sparks, but I LOVE my Salomon Malamutes. I've been riding them for 6yrs now (not the same pair, I get about 1 1/2-2 seasons due to the amount I ride). I have been contemplating the Fitwells as they are similar to the Deelux but a smaller footprint and maybe a tad stiffer (which I need).
The Sparks are a great choice for most though, especially since one can use step-in crampons with them, which is far superior over the straps (I currently use).

Thank you for your input Jonathan!

For those reading, Jonathan is a photographer/Splitboarder out of Avrieux France near La Norma ski resort. Also check out White Flag on FB which he is associated with. Also "Follow" him on Instagram @Jonathan_wf_

PowderPanda

Staff member
OK Jonathan… Now I'm going to start a debate with you. I see that new Deeluxe has the BOA system.
My concern here is if I am in the backcountry and something goes wrong with the cable system, you end up with a limpness boot. Lace or even pull tab systems can be rigged up if something breaks to at least get one out.

Your thoughts!??

I must note.. those are some sick looking boots!!!

(for those who would read this debate, we talk about the stuff on this video :
)

@PowderPanda I agree with you Larry, BOA system definitly suxx !!! The main problem is not the cable but the seams witch links the cable system to the boots leather. But ! When I skied in backcountry I used Black Diamond Factor (http://theverteblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/bd_factor_5108.jpg) with the boa system too, and its not a problem because the BOA isnt the main system to tight the boots because of the hooks. (BOA can be a good complement to zip boots but not a good main system)
I hope you see what I mean :)
On the new sparks summit the boa system complet the "traditionnal" zipping system which isnt bad (this one isnt the best and easiest like lace but sufficient for my part i do not have any problem after two years with this one).

I already agree that to broke your stuff in backcountry should be problem (when I rode in norway's north pole last spring, i was far from every shop or civilisation, and i bring with me some stuff to fix eventual problems, but i wasnt sure to be able to fixe every broken things. Unfortunately I broke a piece of my split binding : the piece which links the binding to the board while hiking, and trust me its harder than broke a boa system ^^) All this explaination to say that you are dependent to your stuff quality and you must have confidence in the gears : even more with alpinism gears I think.

To continue the debate : I think the splitboard stuff is always developping, the bindings and boards are now starting to be adapted and matured, but the boots are just staring there developpment (because in my opinion at the begining splitboard developper were thinking that develop bindings and boards around normal boots was the solutions... but I dont think it is) The icefall climbing I showed you is my proof :)