Split Speedfits?

So here I am again, found a pair of tlt 6 but may not be big enough—phantom says their kit works for them.
has anyone chosen the speedfits, did we like them, where the mods pretty similar to the tlt?

idsnowghost

Staff member
I'm a skier, but Speedfits are probably going to be a softer boot than the TLT6. So maybe better off for modding as a split hardboot?

Maybe needs less in terms of mods?Phantom got back to me and said they’re coming out with a split-specific boot this year—not sure what they mean(I assume this doesn’t simply mean buy a pair of backlands and buy the link levers). But I haven’t seen on the site. Anyway waiting to hear back again

I’m on the list for the slipper.
But since you stopped by: You usually post about avalanche courses; I’ve only found one scheduled so far for this season—Sawtooth mountain guides offers it it’s like 170 bucks for avalanche rescue, I think the AIARE level one From them as like about 450 don’t quote me on that though.
How many of us are using ava bags? NIC doesn’t rent them, I think. Largely asking about that because time is running out for getting them at off-season prices.
Hoping that once I’ve Thrashed up Mount Spokane five or eight times I’ll be able to third wheel with some more experienced folks—an airbag will likely price me out of a level one course this year.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hey @LikesToGoFaSt
We haven't put together dates for the IPAC Level I as of yet. Hopefully in the next month or so. Our prices will be lower than Sawtooth and closer to the area which helps for access.
The Avy Rescue course is great to take, typically it is taken after the Level I course.
I suspect IPAC will be offering a Avy Rescue course this year, however it does depend on interest for it.
There are several of us with Avy Bags, that said, for me it depends on who I'm riding with and the terrain. If I'm riding very conservative terrain, I don't wear mine. Note, an avy bag is just another tool, the basic tools of knowing terrain selection, route finding and snow stability should be the first tool in your box.
I'd suggest spending on the course first. Touring partners are more likely to bring along another into the group who has taken a course and can expand the group heuristics for decision making.

Thank you both for the input. Just going to have to set the money aside and hope I can finangle the days off—if after 01 Jan I should be able to do. Not going to give up hope on a bag for this year though.
As an aside: if anyone has a usable, old, split they’d be interested in selling cheap—give me a holler. I won’t be able to mount the phantom stuff to my current board(selling to a buddy so he can also get started w/me). I don’t really want to thrash a a nice board with a somewhat fragile top sheet my first few times up learning uphill technique.

PowderPanda

Staff member
@LikesToGoFaSt Stay tuned.. I may be parting with a few of my boards. Getting the bases tuned now and waiting on some info to determine what I'll be parting with (won't be full setups, just board, maybe pucks).
We'll defo have avy courses after Jan 1st. Probably only one before and most after.