Split Skins again

My new G3 skins are not making me real happy. Snow migrating under the front pretty quickly from nearly the first dy I used them.
And now the glue is coming off near the tip area.
I know when I have been out with DrGo he was also having the same issue with the tip area and snow migrating under the front.
I have not had these issues with previous G3 skins.
Has anyone else had these glue issues with the 2015/2016 G3?

PowderPanda

Staff member
Nope.. But mine are 2010/11 and 2014/15.. And then I have Voile's as well.

I'd contact G3.. run it by them. I bet they had a bad run!

I bought mine (high traction) Jan. 2015 direct from G3 and I have seen the same issues for about 20 missions. Doesn't always happen though. I wonder if the base wax contributes to sporadic issues?

I will not rule out wax, and will pay attention to that.
But looking at it some more I am wondering if the stiffness of the plastic laminated into the skin on this new model attachment is contributing to them staying on at the tip.
Definitely more plastic there than on the previous design and it does not seem to lay down flat to the
Base as well.

PowderPanda

Staff member
I will not rule out wax, and will pay attention to that.
But looking at it some more I am wondering if the stiffness of the plastic laminated into the skin on this new model attachment is contributing to them staying on at the tip.
Definitely more plastic there than on the previous design and it does not seem to lay down flat to the
Base as well.
Batski.. Just had a bud from the West side post on FB about his breaking at that point. Sounds like a poor design choice by G3. Too bad... I love older style.

PowderPanda

Staff member
So, here is a pic from my buddy, Reid Pitman, on the West side. He got 10 days these skins.
I'm def convinced that G3 has some issues with this years skins!

IMG_3225.jpg

That is not cool!
Someone has got to make a decent split board skin.
Maybe have to try to voile.
Skins are way to expensive to be buying all the time.

idsnowghost

Staff member
In my experience some wax can break down the G3 glue, especially hi-flouro. That would be after a dozen or so uses, not first day out.

That is not cool!
Someone has got to make a decent split board skin.
Maybe have to try to voile.
Skins are way to expensive to be buying all the time.
If you can get ahold of these, they seem promising: http://www.snowcountry.nl/contour-hybrid-splitboard-skins.html Lightweight, packs small with a two layer washable glue that doesn't ball up, etc.

G3 also has the Scala coming out next season, which seems more targeted to your issue of snow getting between the base and skin. I haven't seen anything on a splitboard version though.

If you can get ahold of these, they seem promising: http://www.snowcountry.nl/contour-hybrid-splitboard-skins.html Lightweight, packs small with a two layer washable glue that doesn't ball up, etc.
I've got some of these (for skis) that I'm liking quite a bit. Like Mike said, light, very pack able and good glide. Haven't used them enough yet to know how they'll hold up. No problems with snow getting under the glue (yet anyway) like my BDs. The tip and tail attachments are different from most other skins I've used.

never heard of those contours before!
Sounds promising, I will wait for Brandon to get some more time on them though!
The pack ability would be nice, the new G3 is very bulky with all that hardware.
Meanwhile I am going to try n rejuvenate the glue on these and use my old ones.

PowderPanda

Staff member
I've got some of these (for skis) that I'm liking quite a bit. Like Mike said, light, very pack able and good glide. Haven't used them enough yet to know how they'll hold up. No problems with snow getting under the glue (yet anyway) like my BDs. The tip and tail attachments are different from most other skins I've used.
Brandon, do they have tail clips? (The Contour). One can always get the Spark Tail Clip attachment if not. Just wandering.

Yeah there is a plastic tail clip, not sure if the tail attachment for a board would be different though. I'll snap a pic when I get home this evening.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Brandon: Did you order the contours overseas or from Camp/skimo.co? Couple places have them on sale but still not exactly cheap. (I've only seen the split version on euro sites)

Also interested in how the turn out this Spring... My skin glue always got ruined by dirt/needles. Washable glue sounds nice.

Brandon: Did you order the contours overseas or from Camp/skimo.co? Couple places have them on sale but still not exactly cheap. (I've only seen the split version on euro sites)

Also interested in how the turn out this Spring... My skin glue always got ruined by dirt/needles. Washable glue sounds nice.
My Contours came from Switzerland with a pair of skis (Down YW8 102). They were a $99 add on so I couldn't resist - also laser cut to fit!

They haven't collected any debris on the glue yet, so I haven't had a chance to wash them. I'll keep ya posted.

Some pics to show tip and tail attachments:image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
A quick follow up to my previous post about the Contour hybrid skins. Over the course of a half dozen spring tours, I managed to get these things filthy with moss, pine needles and dirt. I threw them out on the patio this morning and hosed them off under high pressure. 30 seconds later....good as new! I like it!

I will say though, the glue doesn't have quite the shoulder wrecking hold that the black diamond adhesive has (for better or worse). More updates to come as these things age.

Those are some nice looking tip loops Brandon! Haha. I had the cobbler sew Contour tip loops on to my atomic skins after the stock ones which were metal glued to plastic decided to come apart mid tour.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Just found about this discussion, hope you are still happy with the contour skins (made by us in Austria)
Feel free to contact us with any questions on www.facebook.com/contourskins
Distributed in the US by www.camp-USA.com
Thanks for the kudos and have a great early winter, Werner
Werner,
Thank You for joining on and making yourself available!
If you ever want to post any info or throw your company name out there, feel free to start a thread! We are a not-for-profit website designed for everyone to gain knowledge!

Cheers,
PP