New member Question

Just discovered your website during my visit to the panhandle. Live in ORegon, but we have a famialy cabin on Rose Lake, so I get up Memorial Day and through the summer.

My question: Is there southern (or any for that matter) access to Latour Peak for those without a sled?

idsnowghost

Staff member
Welcome to Panhandle Backcountry, Craig! Glad to have you here!

Are you talking about accessing now or in winter conditions? I've got a few suggestions depending on the season.

Hi Mike, and thanks for the reply. I was thinking this time of year. I have a '94 Landcruiser for access

idsnowghost

Staff member
Drove by St Maries about a week ago. Rochat Rd (Reeds Creek Rd) off the St Joe River Road looked clear to near the summit of Reeds Baldy. That would get you to the South end of the Rochat Divide. Could do a (long) traverse on skis towards Latour Peak.

Also looks like there's a logging haul road that was put in, in the last few years above West Fork of Pine Creek. That would get you to the base of the East aspect of Latour Peak. Then there's an ATV trail up from there (It's classified for autos, but I've always heard it was very rough). Might give the BLM in CDA a call and ask about gates and how far an auto could make it.

Maybe teledancer or Mike H have some suggestions also, they are local to that area and probably have been up exploring more than I have..

I suspected that. IN that case, I'd plan on skiing Reeds Baldy of St Joe Baldy. Latour Peak is sure tempting when you're west bound on I90...

idsnowghost

Staff member
I think you're actually seeing Latour Baldy (different pk) from I-90.. Head up French Gulch Road to Little Baldy Creek Rd (probably to just about the top now on the decent condition road).

It was melting out fast when I drove by yesterday though.. everything but the upper NE face.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Craig,
If you are going to make a run, North face of St Joe Baldy would be the cream.. Also, Reeds Baldy dropping down to Crystal Lake basin..

As Mike noted.. I think the roads are melting out fast, so some access is probably there. I'd like to get up and check myself.

Welcome Aboard!! Glad to see ya here.. When you are in town, let us know and we will try and get ya a sticker!

Thanks everyone for the input. When I'm back this summer, I'm going to scout out so access points. I'm going to try to get some turns in each month this year, I can get June in Oregon at Mt Bachelor, which closed yesterday but will have snow for several weeks. Any ideas where to find a snow field around July 4 in the panhandle?

PowderPanda

Staff member
Craig.. Yeah, we should have some trip report up for that time frame. Or let us know when you are here. I'm sure that there will be someone that will want to go with! Love Bachelor and the surrounding mountains. Lots of options there.

There's a rock scree slope off Rochat Ridge that is visible from Rose Lake that I'm still trying to find access to I know its visible from hwy 3 by the conoco. It's high on the list if I can a way in.
Welcome to PBC, I'm another Rose Laker.
Pass ck Pass at Priest is still snowed in and I've skier Grass Mtn just north of the pass.
From Rose Lake it is Latour Baldy It's visible from the east windows.

idsnowghost

Staff member
There's a rock scree slope off Rochat Ridge that is visible from Rose Lake that I'm still trying to find access to I know its visible from hwy 3 by the conoco. It's high on the list if I can a way in.
Welcome to PBC, I'm another Rose Laker.
Pass ck Pass at Priest is still snowed in and I've skier Grass Mtn just north of the pass.
From Rose Lake it is Latour Baldy It's visible from the east windows.
I think I know the scree slope you're referring to.. We skied it on Peak Adventures' last year of operation. Fellow member Mike H skied it too! Take the road up that goes to Mirror Lake.

Have you been up skiing near Pass Creek Pass this Spring? What's accessible up there now?

Skier it on Oct 10 of 96 but was up at the Ranger Station yesterday and know you can get through Granite Pass but Pass Ck is still snowed in. Up there the E. aspects get the snow load which why we skier over 3.5' on a foot snow storm. Sorry didn't find out how far ya could drive.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Skier it on Oct 10 of 96 but was up at the Ranger Station yesterday and know you can get through Granite Pass but Pass Ck is still snowed in. Up there the E. aspects get the snow load which why we skier over 3.5' on a foot snow storm. Sorry didn't find out how far ya could drive.
Lucky man.. would love snag some quality October turns like that locally one of these years.

Can you get any road beta from your work on Trout Creek Road #634 up to Pyramid Peak for me? Or any idea when that becomes passable.. probably any day now? Noticed a couple gates on the map.. open? If you want to join me if I head up to ski anything up there, you're more than welcome..

Sorry wrong district ph # is 208-267-5561 for Bonners, heard Round Top looks good but don't know how far you can drive that either. Family coming for my niece's graduation this weekend and next I am making up a day of work on Friday. Thinking I may have to do the summer parafin wax and put the skis away unless a cold snap rolls around.

Craig sorry for the thread hijack but you want to have a beer and talk skiing I live in the log home on Watson Rd. I assume your family cabin is one of the two blowing off all the fireworks on the 4th.

Last edited:

PowderPanda

Staff member
Fireworks… Beer… I'm there Teledance & Craig!! LoL

Teledance.. BTW.. I think you should go to Glacier National park with us when they open!!!

Depends on time and work, kinda booked next two weeks. Might end up trying to hit Glacier on 6/21 if It's open, have to be in Kalispell on 6/20.

There are two family groups across the lake from each other and they blow up several hundred in fireworks, fun to watch if the mosquitoes don't drive ya crazy.

Last edited:
We're next to the monster fireworks display. We watch and sweep ash off the dock the next day. We have the 80 year old single room log cabin right on the bend in the road as it swings along the lake, past the Rose Lake Lodge, the large rental property. We often rent one of the small cabins at Watson for overflow (and are trying to this year as well). The Cabin in only about 900 square feet, and we usually have 10 people. If your cabin is the one I'm thinking of on the north side of Watsons Road, it's beautiful and nicely landscaped. We eye it with envy when we go by. We'll be up the week of the forth and into the next week, I'll connect with you and have a beer at Watson's, or better yet, a glass of wine at our cabin. I'm an award-winning amateur winemaker. I've fantasized about the screen field visible from Hwy 3 as well.

Yep that's home, I'll be back on the 2nd I hope. Stop on by on the 3rd or over the weekend, that yard keeps me busy, and I'm always happy to take a bteak from it.