Making a snowmobile ski rack

Picked up a second sled this fall and spending another 600.00 on a rack wasn’t in the cards so I’m copying my older mopro rack. Bought some 3”x5”x1/4” angle in Spokane. Probably about 100.00 in material when I’m done but I already had random snowboard binding parts. Will update as I progress.83A2D8D6-E986-4D87-A047-913A69A4C2E0.jpeg 83E2D433-12A6-419F-8014-77065B692FFC.jpeg

B28E47B8-A316-4E93-95A7-4278F9F48E0D.jpeg 17F2A0A2-7B05-4E4B-8241-42832B6036C2.jpeg I found the 1/2 aluminum rods at Home Depot and was stoked to get them for what I thought was cheap. But after buying a special router bit and taping each one I’d wish I would have just bought them from mo-pro for 50 bucks. That’s the nice thing about mo-pro you can buy any part individually.

Not sure if you were using them, but when I’m building one-off stuff for boats I source my metals from Alcobra over in the dog town portion of Hillyard. They are excellent to work with, have lots of little off cuts and remnants to choose from if you have a small order, and prices are always competitive.

Plus on a job like that they may have given you a person to contact who could loan the tools or just tap the part for you on the cheap. I may have some fab guys for you as well if you want to do cash jobs for little stuff to save the cost on tool purchases.

E

Most of the parts are done. Need to order a couple more straps, probably from mo-pros as they have a good price. Obviously I won’t know how well it will work till I get out there and use it.
The ski/board carry yokes are 3/4 uhmw with 1/2”aluminum channel. Two 3” stainless screws will hold them to rack. 3896C2EA-D098-4912-BC84-4FB05B3ED0A2.jpeg 393E224C-2F54-4903-824C-75C08E6B3E85.jpeg 4F683DAB-D654-4A45-B0A7-6A282032771D.jpeg 753970A1-D84A-4DF3-A6EB-671C0C3C9E98.jpeg
next photos in the snow I hope!

Not sure if you were using them, but when I’m building one-off stuff for boats I source my metals from Alcobra over in the dog town portion of Hillyard. They are excellent to work with, have lots of little off cuts and remnants to choose from if you have a small order, and prices are always competitive.

Plus on a job like that they may have given you a person to contact who could loan the tools or just tap the part for you on the cheap. I may have some fab guys for you as well if you want to do cash jobs for little stuff to save the cost on tool purchases.

E
Yea that’s were I go too when I’m in Spokane! They have it all!

Last edited:

PowderPanda

Staff member
So awesome @Chiller!!!!
On the board holder yokes, something the Mo Pro changed was dropping the upper channel a little to make it better for the fat skiis. Instead of 1" I think he went to 1.5" or so.
Dang... this looks just like my mopro! Thoroughly Impressed!

So awesome @Chiller!!!!
On the board holder yokes, something the Mo Pro changed was dropping the upper channel a little to make it better for the fat skiis. Instead of 1" I think he went to 1.5" or so.
Dang... this looks just like my mopro! Thoroughly Impressed!
thanks for the tip! Will make them a bit deeper too.

@Chiller
I know this thread is old but I'm new to the scene and planning on making my own version of the mo pros. Do you mind telling me the dimensions of the rack? Is there any funky angles or is it pretty straightforward? Would you change anything if you were to do it again? I wish there were a template I could follow. Fabricating for a sled that I will acquire in a few months so I don't have any references.
thanks!

PowderPanda

Staff member
@Chiller
I know this thread is old but I'm new to the scene and planning on making my own version of the mo pros. Do you mind telling me the dimensions of the rack? Is there any funky angles or is it pretty straightforward? Would you change anything if you were to do it again? I wish there were a template I could follow. Fabricating for a sled that I will acquire in a few months so I don't have any references.
thanks!
Rad... please keep us posted on what you create. I do have MoPro's, but I like seeing people innovate.

@Chiller
thanks!
Dimensions of the angle iron was 2 x 3. think that was all alcobra metals had. Length was just maximizing tunnel but you could search mo pro website for that. I'd buy the threaded steel bars from them. Seemed cheaper in the long run and stronger. For cradles I've seen people using two chain saw wedges bolted together. Seems perfect.