Lookout region beta

3 amigos hit Willow area on Wed and reported epic conditions, "best in years", reportedly. I was chained to the desk! They're heading back out tomorrow to either St. Regis or perhaps back to Willow and I will join them this time.

Anyone got beta on these areas?

Avy forecast is low, and things look quite manageable from that perspective (with the usual wind slab caveats) but was wondering how tracked out** any of these area might be if you have first or second hand experience. **And if something has been high marked and sliced and diced by sleds, I'd especially like to save my energy for something less hammered.

Thanks for any beta you can pass along!

West Willow is kind of the "low hanging fruit" out there, but I still think it'd be rare to have to cross another track. We nearly got run over by a group of 8 snow bikes while skinning up toward stevens peak a few weeks back, but they mostly stayed out of the ski zones. I've seen lots of sled tracks on the lower flanks in the Regis, but never really thought it effected my ski day.

Been a few weeks since I was out at Willow, so no current conditions beta to share

There are some crusts, depends on aspect had a surprise one on a NE aspect 6" down with movement.
Thanks teledance. We ended up staying in SE aspects in SR basin and the snow was quite stable. We did stay off steeper open slopes and hugged trees when possible (probably overkill given the conditions, but our crew tends to be super conservative which makes my wife happy).

My ski partner when I have one is an ex powder guide, my wife is much happier when I go out with him versus myself.

Yes, I skied SR on Sunday and probably skied right next to your turns. It was pretty cut up by the snowmobilers and snow-bikers in a lot of the basin...they went straight up the longest, baddest, slope in the basin and really worked a lot of other slopes to the point there was little left untracked where ever they had been.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Yes, I skied SR on Sunday and probably skied right next to your turns. It was pretty cut up by the snowmobilers and snow-bikers in a lot of the basin...they went straight up the longest, baddest, slope in the basin and really worked a lot of other slopes to the point there was little left untracked where ever they had been.
Yeah... I haven't been back to SR in 2 years.
All this stability last week had given the sledders availability to ride everything. That's gonna change here with this rain and added heavy snow weight.

Snow bikes punched the gut of some seriously sketchy terrain in the lone lake basin last week. No signs of instability out there on Sunday. Hope they are watching the forecast...