Exploratory Tour to whereever, SAT 11/29

Looking to tour around somewhere to burn off Thanksgiving! I am new to the area and don't really know where to go, other than some large general areas. Not sure about early season.

Just moved over from Bellingham, the North Cascades used to be home. Long or short, steep or mellow, I am game for anything, just want to get out and enjoy some snow, make some new pals and move!

PM or respond if interested.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Brett,
For me, a lot will depend on what these next few days bring.. Good snows until Tues AM.. then we're getting a quick warm spell that will create rain up to the highest elevations.

PowderPanda

Staff member
I'd be into something mellow sat or sun, but pre season muscles and a new un-dialed setup will make me slow even if wx cooperates
Ha.. Man, do I know that!!! Usually when I get something new I'm gonna try, i go to the resort so I can play with it.
Safer enviro in case chit goes wrong!! ;-)

Looking pretty thin this weekend for bushwhacking, I'll prolly hit 49n sun. to dial in the new gear and wake up the muscles since we have passes there. Maybe the 1st week or 2 of Dec I'll be ready for an easy day trip out of Sandpoint if anyone wants to team up.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hey BbOardski.. going to be an iffy day Sat for any true bc riding.. This warm rain is dropping the snowpack fast!

Looks like we get a small hit on sat morn.. then back to cold conditions with a few small spits next week. Hoping it builds up though!

Do you know if there will be anybody putting a group together for a weekend with varied backcountry skill levels? I'm new to touring but am jacked to get out and explore the deep pow.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Do you know if there will be anybody putting a group together for a weekend with varied backcountry skill levels? I'm new to touring but am jacked to get out and explore the deep pow.
Hey Bret S,
Welcome to the site!! There are different people getting together all the time. Since you're new to touring, just post a few days before you think you'll tour to see who is going and where. Usually, many of the areas toured have a range of skill set terrain (St Regis for instance has an easy tour to the trees right behind Lookout Pass resort).
Only thing that is a must for all tours, have basic avy equipment (Avy Beacon, probe and shovel) then water and snack foods.
When Mt Spokane has enough snow, hit it on the days they are closed (check out the link for Mt Spokane uphill policy on our site). great place for a couple people to hone touring skills!

We have several seasoned members here.. all are willing to help out!

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I will let you guys know! im planning on spending some time on the backside of the resorts until I'm ready to go out in true outskirts.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Welcome, Bret!

Great info from Panda above, and it's also important to know how to use your avy gear. You might consider taking a Level 1 Avalanche class if you think you will get into touring (there's free, shorter awareness classes too!). There will be plenty offered in our area this winter, I'll try to put together a post with all the dates this week.

Hope to see you out there!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Bret S,
Yeah.. we all do backside stuff as well… depending on conditions. What resort do you typically ride at? What set-up do you have?
For instance, a great beginner tour is the East Ridge down into the valley.. then a short skin track to the bottom of chair #1 for a ride back up. But if you choose to leave your skins on of the chairlift ride up.. Be prepared for the sudden stop.. Ha, maybe I should write up a quick instruction on this. Ha

Just remember, this has Avy terrain and like all areas outside of normal operating lines of the resort is Backcountry and knowledge is needed for the such terrain.

Last edited: