Calling All Women!!! On-Snow Avy Clinic

PowderPanda

Staff member
OK, so @Mtnbikemelissa from Idaho Panhandle Avalanche Center (IPAC) would love to know how many women would be interested in a Women's Specific On-Snow Avalanche Clinic. Held sometime in Jan, Feb or March (depending on interest), most likely in the Silver Valley somewhere.

If you are interested, please comment on this thread.

Women Specific classes are great as there is no bro-brah mentality (sorry guys.. ya know what i mean. LoL) and helps women develop a voice in the backcountry (I find too often that this gets lost).

Hope there is some excitement around this!!!

Cheers,
PP

PP! My lady would probably be interested but she'd have to know a month or so in advance so we can schedule it. I'm currently trying to find her a women's level 1 course that fits her schedule and doesn't cost $500.

PowderPanda

Staff member
PP! My lady would probably be interested but she'd have to know a month or so in advance so we can schedule it. I'm currently trying to find her a women's level 1 course that fits her schedule and doesn't cost $500.
Totally understand that.. I suspect @Mtnbikemelissa will have some idea about this before the end of the month.

Not to steer you from @Mtnbikemelissa's class (we've PM'd her for my wife to attend), but the Spokane Mountaineers are running an Avy 1 class, taught by the Silver Mountain Ski Patrol, in January — 2, 4, 7, 9 for indoor classes, 6-9pm in Post Falls, then the outdoor sessions are 12-13 — at Silver Mt. Cost is $200 (+ Mountaineers membership if you aren't already). It's not a women-specific class.

The only other women-specific class that we're aware of is through SheJumps Inland NW, but it's $450. Feb 1-3 in Libby, MT.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Yes, for level 1 there are a few out there. Gabe's (the one @Bill A. noted) as well as IPAC has 3 course for $350.

This course Melissa is looking to do would be a Avy Clinic, not a Level I, hence the lower cost. Designed for women to determine if they want to go to a level I or a woman that already did a level I and wants to refresh.

Right on thanks fellas. She's wouldnt mind doing both but since we live in Missoula I'll have to find something that's multiple days in a row for the level 1. I've heard great things about the SheJumps course, hopefully some other wonens specific courses start popping up in the next few years. I'll have to find something different though since we'll be in Cooke city for 10 days early February ;)