Avy Learnin'

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hey Folks,
Good time to start boning up on avy education. There are a lot of youtube channels for how to dig a stability snow pit (I have a folder that I save these in and rewatch them when on a stairmaster or when bored) as well as various on-line course. below is one that @idsnowghost sent out this Spring.
Another thing to do, go hike what you want to ride, take a look at the terrain, does it look like avy terrain, have the steepness, big trees knocked down at the bottom of a runout, bushes that only grow 4-5ft high, flagging on uphill side of trees, these are just a few signs. Take photo's, do route finding to find a path that won't cross avy terrain on the way in or up the mountain.
Literally 2.5 months until the snows start... YaY!

https://altusmountainguides.thinkific.com/users/sign_in

PowderPanda

Staff member
This is a good video I found a few years ago that I use to refresh my memory on pre-season.
Albeit, his shoulder tap is much harder than what I do, the overall demonstration is on-point and great to save for use when you're stuck on the stairclimber because it's 90+ degrees outside and smoky so being outdoors is more miserable than the stupid stair climber.... Oops.. sorry, I digress.. o_O

Snow Stability tests: