23/24 Season!

Hello! I’m Ethan, a splitboarder that’s fairly new to the area.
Any boarders / skiers out there wanting to earn a lotta turns this year?
Although I don’t have any formal training, I’m getting avy training.
What I do have to offer is a great attitude haha.
I come from Mt Hood, where there isn’t much steep (at least that I hit), mostly just side country.
I heard Lookout Pass is cool. Hoping temps drop and snow starts stackin up!

sup man ! Rod from north id I do most of my riding at Schweitzer/side country and the priest lake area. I take it to the max on fun not danger. have a couple sleds and some extra avy gear. (float packs and beacons) I can show you around up north if you like. hit me up when the snow flies. BTW Lookout is probably the best around for easy access and great snow.

Sick! That sounds right up my alley. I’ll holler when we get some snow. Looking forward to it! Winter can’t come soon enough. Thanks Rod.

sup man ! Rod from north id I do most of my riding at Schweitzer/side country and the priest lake area. I take it to the max on fun not danger. have a couple sleds and some extra avy gear. (float packs and beacons) I can show you around up north if you like. hit me up when the snow flies. BTW Lookout is probably the best around for easy access and great snow.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hello! I’m Ethan, a splitboarder that’s fairly new to the area.
Any boarders / skiers out there wanting to earn a lotta turns this year?
Although I don’t have any formal training, I’m getting avy training.
What I do have to offer is a great attitude haha.
I come from Mt Hood, where there isn’t much steep (at least that I hit), mostly just side country.
I heard Lookout Pass is cool. Hoping temps drop and snow starts stackin up!
Welcome @marcus aurelius, I'm originally from Hood.. cut my teeth in what is now lift serviced world of Meadows (We hiked/boot packed) all the goods back then... after running out of view of the lifties/ski patrol at the top lifts.. LoL

Hey All,

I’m new to the area, just started a PhD in Forest and Fire Ecology at the University of Idaho. I live in Moscow. I have two years of backcountry experience and have taken my AIAIRE 1. My time in the backcountry mostly includes California and Tahoe area specifically because I lived in Oakland the last seven years. I also have toured outside of Nelson, BC and outside of Whistler, Pemberton, and Squamish. I’d love to find touring partners. I have a husky mix who joins me most tours, so far all of them. She runs upwards of 14 miles with me, our longest tour together was 10 miles. I’d never take her down highly consequential terrain or where there’d be avalanche risk. Although, I’m pretty adamant about never touring on a day that’s maybe more than moderate, and even then, constantly assessing conditions.

Killian

Welcome @marcus aurelius, I'm originally from Hood.. cut my teeth in what is now lift serviced world of Meadows (We hiked/boot packed) all the goods back then... after running out of view of the lifties/ski patrol at the top lifts.. LoL
Very nice. Nice country back there. I spent most of my time at Timberline and ski bowl. Hard to beat a deep powder day in the back of skibowl!

Hey All,

I’m new to the area, just started a PhD in Forest and Fire Ecology at the University of Idaho. I live in Moscow. I have two years of backcountry experience and have taken my AIAIRE 1. My time in the backcountry mostly includes California and Tahoe area specifically because I lived in Oakland the last seven years. I also have toured outside of Nelson, BC and outside of Whistler, Pemberton, and Squamish. I’d love to find touring partners. I have a husky mix who joins me most tours, so far all of them. She runs upwards of 14 miles with me, our longest tour together was 10 miles. I’d never take her down highly consequential terrain or where there’d be avalanche risk. Although, I’m pretty adamant about never touring on a day that’s maybe more than moderate, and even then, constantly assessing conditions.

Killian
How’d you like Nelson? I was just up there for some end of season mountain biking. Nice that it’s so close. I have a border collie that loves to run. Planning on taking her somewhere chill for early season warmups and see how she likes it. Sounds like Lookout may be a spot we should hit and see how the dogs do.

Also new to the area and down for dog-safe tours! Lots of weekday availability, for anyone else with an odd hours work schedule. Mt Spokane is a good easy half day that I did a few times at the end of last season, and I’m also interested in exploring the lookout area, and up into BC!

Right on AbiB! I have weekday availability as well. If we continue to just get lil teasers of 3” here and there, and no significant storms, I may have to boogie up north to Fernie or Nelson and do some recon!

Hey Rod, so far most my tours are down here around Lookout Pass area, but it would be awesome to get with you on some of those North country tours. I’m also a splitboard and have some extra gear as well. I do not have a snowmobile, however lol

I too will be new to Spokane (moving from Walla Walla on December 26th) and am looking for people to ski tour and explore the backcountry with. I'm planning to take the Avy 1 refresher with IPAC at Silver Mtn on February 25th so I may meet some of you there, also hoping to get involved with Spokane Mountaineers. Two years ago I toured West Willow Peak and the Training Grounds just across I-90 from the Lookout Pass Ski Area, both were super fun and didn't have too much avalanche exposure. My schedule is pretty much wide open this winter, so hopefully things start to ramp up in terms of snowfall. Last year I did a quick tour on my Hok Skis up at the Rocks of Sharon but I don't think it has a very reliable snowpack lol.

EDIT : last minute have to work, postponing until we get another few inches of powder. Would love to shred with y’all!

When : TBD 7am arrival at Lookout
Where : The Training Grounds
How many : 2-3 laps? Never been there but have time.

Howdy. Going to knock the dust off and do a couple laps at the training grounds Wednesday. Considering bringing my border collie but am open to criticism if that's considered a bad idea there haha. Very well behaved. Like any border collie, she's a lil ball of energy. Figured there will be less sled traffic on a weekday.

If you'd like to join, holler! I'm open to a different start time if you can't make 7 happen.

Alternatively, if you're going out Wednesday to a different location, I'd consider joining you.

Last edited:
EDIT : last minute have to work, postponing until we get another few inches of powder. Would love to shred with y’all!

When : TBD 7am arrival at Lookout

Howdy. Going to knock the dust off and do a couple laps at the training grounds Wednesday. Considering bringing my border collie but am open to criticism if that's considered a bad idea there haha. Very well behaved. Like any border collie, she's a lil ball of energy. Figured there will be less sled traffic on a weekday.

If you'd like to join, holler! I'm open to a different start time if you can't make 7 happen.

Alternatively, if you're going out Wednesday to a different location, I'd consider joining you.
Damn, would have loved to do this & what a great idea! Anyone wanna try to plan a group outing?

Let’s shred some pow on the pass!

When : Tuesday 7am arrival at Lookout
Who : Nat G, Andyman, me (lil ripper Fin, my border collie) and more!

Last edited:
Hey Rod, so far most my tours are down here around Lookout Pass area, but it would be awesome to get with you on some of those North country tours. I’m also a splitboard and have some extra gear as well. I do not have a snowmobile, however lol
Any luck getting out this year?

I'm definitely hoping to get out, safely, midweek. Wednesday works best for me if anyone else is available. I could do Thursday but I'm taking my car into the shop in downtown Spokane that morning at 7:30am.

Call me crazy but I've recently become intrigued by the idea of a ski tour to Stanley Hot Springs when conditions permit. I'll make a seperate post about it, but it could be a pretty special spot to ski out to (and possibly spend the night at) during the depths of winter. With this storm Hok skis might be the best way to go, but during winters with more generous snowfall I feel like there could be a storm when a touring setup would work.