2013/14 Winter Predictions

idsnowghost

Staff member
Looks like another La Nada (Neutral) year.. with a chance of developing into El Nino/La Nina early next year.

Latest ENSO forecast is below. (3 month rolling of +0.5 or greater is El Nino, -0.5 or greater is La Nina)

I think generally the Northwest fares pretty well in anything but a strong El Nino. Our best winters seem be to when we switch from a strong El Nino to a strong La Nina. (Like in 98/99)

There's obviously a ton of other variables that go into predicting the winter and any forecasts this far out do lack confidence.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Amen Mike.. We can only see what happens when it does. Just hoping for a better season than the last.. However, last season was a good one to go bad with your injury!!! ;-)
Let's hope for an injury free season for everyone!

Per Harris CDA Press Monday weather article-South America is having an all time cold winter with snow in places that have never recorded any snow. Could it creep north, cool the waters etc. Sure Could

PowderPanda

Staff member
Per Harris CDA Press Monday weather article-South America is having an all time cold winter with snow in places that have never recorded any snow. Could it creep north, cool the waters etc. Sure Could
Pete, Yeah... NZ and Chile are having a banger season. We can hope that equates to some cold water in the ocean currents..

Pete, Yeah... NZ and Chile are having a banger season. We can hope that equates to some cold water in the ocean currents..

Mr. Panda, had Steve and Fran over this past weekend for golf etc. and discovered you are neighbors. Small world, Steve is a very good powder skier and Fran just got new S7's and will she love them. Can you tell me how to PM here on Panhandle, wanted to send my address in for stickersw and can't see how to do. thanks, my wife says I am electronically deprived.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hey Pete... Just click on my picture.. you will see it says "Profile Page" "Start Conversation".. Click on the "Start Conversation" and it will pop up a dialogue box. I'll send ya one now..

idsnowghost

Staff member
Here's the 2014 Famers Almanac Forecast:

2014-Farmers-Almanac-Forecast.jpeg

Who knows how much actual science goes into these Farmers' Almanac forecasts, but I hope we get more of the "Piercing Cold with Normal Snowfall" as opposed to "Dry & Chilly".

PowderPanda

Staff member
I LIKE that NOAA prediction... Above Avg Precip and Normal/Equal Temps.. I'd be happy with that!!
Coming back from Vancouver Island it rained harder than I have seen in a LONG time.. We got down to 50mph (and ya know how I am about going slow...). Let's hope this is a nice Fall predication!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Would be nice if it made the gradual decline in temps and snow elevations as it should.. If so, that would make for a terrific winter!

My earliest ski day was 10/10/96 we were skiing in over 3' of sweet powder on Round Top Mtn, north of Pass Creek Pass in Priest Lake. I've never come close to matching such an early date, especially for BC skiing.

Last edited: