Scotchman's?

Hey!

I'm probably going to come camp up in Sandpoint for a few days this week. I realize the snowpack is pretty terrible but I want to try out my new setup. Is Scotchman's Peak doable this time of year? I don't really care how good the skiing is, just want to get out and explore/get the feel of skinning. Is the road in plowed at all? Is there anything else in the area I should hit instead?

Thanks!

idsnowghost

Staff member
Well.. you can probably still drive to the trailhead right now with the lack of snow. I wouldn't expect to do any skiing and maybe no skinning atleast until the meadow at 5700ft. Probably skis on the back most the way up/down.

You might consider Freezeout Ridge/Mark's Butte down closer to Moscow. I've seen some decent (all relative) photos the past few weekends. It's to the east, outside of Clarkia and you can still drive up to 5100ft. Skins on from the truck.

Bummer, thanks! Maybe I'll drive over and just check it out. I was planning on being in Sandpoint anyway but maybe I'll drive down a day early and hit Freezeout, I've seen some photos from there as well, that look fine. Thanks!