Schweitzer uphill policy?

PowderPanda

Staff member
Yes & No... LoL

The Schizz doesn't have an uphill policy per se. Understand that they are on private land and can dictate the rules how they want (Mt Spokane, Lookout Pass and 49 all have public lands).

That said, I know a lot of people that are climbing and riding up there.

Yeah, it's totally fine after they're closed for the season. I've been up a few times and it has never been a problem.

It is forbidden during their ski season, but there's a trail just outside the resort's southern boundary that is fair game.

Any updates for 2022 and skinning up or near the established routes on Schweitzer?

They have this on their site:

"Uphill Travel Policy:

For your safety and to avoid disruption in our ability to safely open and operate the mountain, uphill travel is prohibited (except on Nordic trails). Hazards include: Avalanches and explosives work, on-snow equipment, winch lines and unmarked obstacles.

Schweitzer is private property. Valid lift ticket/pass is required at all times. Violators may be prosecuted and/or trespassed for up to 1 year. Thank you for your cooperation!"

https://www.schweitzer.com/policies/

Schweitzer’s uphill policy has not changed. The big change I’ve seen this year is that the previously mentioned trail now has private property signs and a bunch of new construction going on. If you’re going that route, definitely read the signs and follow their rules because I get the feeling access may be in jeopardy.