Northeast Washington Ski Touring/Exploration

I posted this on the TGR forum's 2013/14 INLAND PNW THREAD and they suggested that I post it here as well.

I'm moving to Spokane next month from Walla Walla, looking forward to more geographic diversity without the constant congestion and competition of the I-5 corridor. Bluewood is a fine local hill but it feels a bit claustrophobic and I've done enough chill touring laps on the old ski runs at Spout Springs to last me a lifetime - it's time to move on.

What I'm curious about is how many of you all regularly ski in the NE WA backcountry. I've done a fair amount of Hok skiing at Boulder Creek Pass (Nils and others in the Ferry County ski/outdoor community are awesome) and I've toured near the Stevens Lake trailhead off I-90 near Mullan, but I want to tour more in the WA Selkirks and Kettles specifically. Working at 49 a few years ago I didn't get the chance to do as much touring as I would've liked but now I have more time.

Some places I particularly want to get some turns in just for fun/exploration's sake include:
-Mt. Bonaparte
-Sherman Pass (Columbia Mountain as well as Sherman/Snow Peak).
-Copper Butte
-Calispell Peak (though I've heard the snowmobilers love it up there)
-Molybdenite Mountain (looks like some gnarly terrain on its NE aspect)
-Abercrombie and Hooknose Mountains (terrain looks great but access might be a challenge)
and lastly
-Sullivan Mountain/Crowell Ridge/Gypsy Peak (great terrain but tricky accessibility as well)

If any of you all have insight about these places or want to ski them, feel free to reach out - or not, the unexpected can also have its benefits.

Have been up to the Sherman Pass / Snow Peak area a few times. I'd recommend trying to get a reservation at the Snow Peak cabin. It is a great launching off spot for a weekend (but tough to land a resi)! Lots of options on a variety of terrain between Sherman, Snow, and Bald - mellow gladed runs, to steeper bowls and chutes.

Included a few photos from May a few years back. Was a bit low-tide but still great spring skiing!

Attachments

idsnowghost

Staff member
Welcome to the community @Riblet Tramway (nice username as well!).

You should be able to find some trip reports posted over the years for a lot of those locations -- although beyond Sherman Pass most don't get skied frequently. A snowmobile can help with access unless you get lucky and find a logging operation going all Winter. Otherwise timing the rising snow line right in the Spring, gate opening dates and driving/hiking in has been my go to for NE Wa.

Molybdenite has been a favorite of mine in recent years.. you're right it has some nice lines down the NE side.

Welcome to the community @Riblet Tramway (nice username as well!).

You should be able to find some trip reports posted over the years for a lot of those locations -- although beyond Sherman Pass most don't get skied frequently. A snowmobile can help with access unless you get lucky and find a logging operation going all Winter. Otherwise timing the rising snow line right in the Spring, gate opening dates and driving/hiking in has been my go to for NE Wa.

Molybdenite has been a favorite of mine in recent years.. you're right it has some nice lines down the NE side.
Appreciate the insight, thank you. That's good to hear my suspicions were right about Molybdenite, I definitely want to get some turns in up there sometime this winter. Definitely want to meetup with some of the people on the TGR inland nw thread and this forum.

Save Gypsy for spring due to access road closures. We did it on July 3rd back in the day, and it still went. Connected the drive out with Priest Lake via Pass Creek Pass and was able to climb out of a couloir with crampons and boat in the same day. Though it's not in NE WA, have you looked at Snowy Top? Think we'll all want that one. For anyone listening, i'd be down to split a heli drop to ST. Lots of logistics obviously, but may be worth talking about...

Went up to Sherman/Snow peaks last season a couple days and can't wait to get back. Have been waiting for the snowpack to fatten up out there and it looks like this recent storm might have just gotten that zone over the hump (like pretty much everywhere else). Shoot me a PM if you want to link up and get out there. Happy to suffer with you in an effort to access more of those zones you mentioned too!

Went up to Sherman/Snow peaks last season a couple days and can't wait to get back. Have been waiting for the snowpack to fatten up out there and it looks like this recent storm might have just gotten that zone over the hump (like pretty much everywhere else). Shoot me a PM if you want to link up and get out there. Happy to suffer with you in an effort to access more of those zones you mentioned too!
I'd love that - will DM you!

I have spent a lot of time on Molybdenite over the last 20 years. If you have a sled, there are multiple ways to access the mountain. I have always wanted to take my splitboard up but everyone i know with a sled does’t ski or snowboard and those that snowboard don’t have a sled. I am just getting back into splitboarding, so I may be slow on the up hill, but if you want to ride the Selkirks or any other areas I would be interested.

I have spent a lot of time on Molybdenite over the last 20 years. If you have a sled, there are multiple ways to access the mountain. I have always wanted to take my splitboard up but everyone i know with a sled does’t ski or snowboard and those that snowboard don’t have a sled. I am just getting back into splitboarding, so I may be slow on the up hill, but if you want to ride the Selkirks or any other areas I would be interested.
Wow, I'm glad to hear you've made it up there a fair amount. I don't have access to a sled and won't be in any position to buy one for the foreseeable future. I ski but I'd definitely be interested in touring up there with you, particularly if a sled could be used to avoid the long hike in and out at the bottom. How reliable is the snow up there above 5k in elevation? Does the topography hold the snow well? I just read a climber-bro "peakbagger" blog post disparaging Molybdenite and frankly felt insulted by it - there's so much beauty up there away from the Cascadian crowds.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Wow, I'm glad to hear you've made it up there a fair amount. I don't have access to a sled and won't be in any position to buy one for the foreseeable future. I ski but I'd definitely be interested in touring up there with you, particularly if a sled could be used to avoid the long hike in and out at the bottom. How reliable is the snow up there above 5k in elevation? Does the topography hold the snow well? I just read a climber-bro "peakbagger" blog post disparaging Molybdenite and frankly felt insulted by it - there's so much beauty up there away from the Cascadian crowds.
Bunchgrass Meadow snotel is pretty close by at 5k elevation: https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=BGMW1&hours=240&units=english&chart=off&headers=min&obs=tabular&hourly=false&pview=full

If you drive or snowmobile in from the North on the main Paupac road, you'll find most of the feeder roads are gated/signed as no snowmobiling. It's a mile or two past the gates to where you generally can start skiing/ascending. I've never accessed from the South side.

Bunchgrass Meadow snotel is pretty close by at 5k elevation: https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=BGMW1&hours=240&units=english&chart=off&headers=min&obs=tabular&hourly=false&pview=full

If you drive or snowmobile in from the North on the main Paupac road, you'll find most of the feeder roads are gated/signed as no snowmobiling. It's a mile or two past the gates to where you generally can start skiing/ascending. I've never accessed from the South side.
Yeah I've heard the Paupac Rd has a lot of gates on it due to an overzealous wildlife biologist (the most recent one to serve on the Sullivan Lake District). Thanks for the heads up.