Walkie-Talkie or Handheld HAM for Rescue?

After reading this from the report on the avalanche and rescue at Stevens Peak:
The Garmin InReach they carried enabled them to communicate with the outside world; however, the device’s limitations should be
acknowledged. Communication was limited to text exchanges with the Garmin SOS dispatch services every 30-60min, who then relayed information to local resources. Text exchanges with local authorities were limited to once every one to two hours.

I was wondering if a walkie-talkie (on the FRS frequencies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service) or handheld ham radio as a way to communicate with rescue, outside of your group would be beneficial?

Through GPS text you could indicate that you will be monitoring XXX.XXX frequency. A handheld ham could potentially reach a local repeater or other area frequencies.

Agreed. Personally, I carry a Baofeng radio which handles FRS, GMRS, MURS and ham channels if programmed properly and you have the appropriate licenses. For a $25 radio they are amazing, and easily replaceable should you do something to break or lose it. Add better antenna for even better reception. I've used mine for a number of years for SAR and amongst my friends. If you have contacts, you can get the emergency repeater frequencies in the areas you ski and program them into the radio. Since I'm usually solo, I radio in to the wifey when possible from the ridge lines, to test where I can and can't get her. I also have the repeater frequencies for most emergency services in my area, just in case...
There are plenty of rules of engagement on what frequencies you can use, etc., but the bottom line is that in a situation like West Willow I would use whatever frequency I could to grab someones attention and worry about the consequences later, but that's just me.
~Tiny

idsnowghost

Staff member
Seems like a good idea to me to pass on that information if you have radios available.

But FRS wasn't really designed for that purpose. It's great for local/group communication but range is limited and generally only line of sight.

A VHF or ham radio (or Chinese Baofeng type) would give you a bit more range outward. Ham radio clubs and the forest service have various repeaters in the area that you could more easily make contact with the outside world. There's repeaters on Wardner, Goose Pk, Little Guard and Mullan Pass in the Silver Valley for example. However, you'd need a preprogrammed radio with the repeater's tones. It would take a little technical knowledge to setup and get programmed. (The FS repeaters are not public, so finding those tones could be difficult.. but in an emergency any frequency may be used.)

It may not be widely known but the iPhone 14 and 15 both have emergency-only satellite texting capabilities without any sending limits: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426

I've tested it a fair amount casually to send "Find My" locations and am positively surprised where I'm able to get a satellite location update out (trees + canyon). I feel good enough about using it, I've added it as another tool for my "what-if" rescue plan.

Ha, I was just in the process of typing a similar response!

Even the Garmin In Reach, as reliable/useful as it is, adds to the heuristics trap. In my opinion, similar to airbags, avalungs when they were out, I even notice a difference in what I ski when I do or do not wear a helmet. Knowing that I have a 911 button gives a false sense of safety while contemplating risks. Maybe that's just me and my messed up brain.

As a personal/professional recommendation I could only truly recommend getting yourself first aid/WFA/WFR type training. Maintain avalanche assessment, search, and rescue skills. The best approach, in my opinion, to any wilderness adventure is to expect having to self-rescue!

I agree with you both. Believe me, I'm a low tech guy! Like Brett, I see folks relying too much on avy bags and related equipment. My pack is heavy enough without all those bells and whistles. WFR/WFA are great classes. Avy classes are a must. Practicing with your ski mates is super important. Route finding skills are essential. My problem with phones, is dead zones abound up around Priest Lake, but I like your alternative Mike.
I've used the expensive radios with SAR and as a volunteer fireman, and they work no better than the cheap Chinese Baofengs. I'd rather lose/break a $25 radio than one worth hundreds. Again some frequencies need a license, which are cheap, some don't. The ham license is in a different ballpark, but still doable with some study. I use MURS or GMRS more than the busy FRS channels, but again, it is simply for checking in at home ("I know I said before dark dear, but...) or a potential emergency.
My point on radios is simply that they can come in handy if you know how to use them properly and you have the frequencies needed. They are small and weigh nothing. Many repeaters are definitely accessible if a person has the frequencies. A friendly Ski patrol, sheriff...
Good discussion to have.

About 10 years ago I got my ham license in order to use the local 2-meter repeaters for emergencies. I carry a Baofeng radio programmed for the repeaters in the area. I found repeater coverage to be spotty depending on where you are and there is no guarantee that somebody will be monitoring the repeater when you need help. About 5 years ago I got a Garmin inreach and stopped relying on repeaters. It's a more reliable technology, though quite a bit more expensive (requires a $20/month subscription). I too check in frequently with my spouse, via inreach text messages. I wouldn't count on being able to talk with SAR via your Baofeng, but you may be able to communicate with them with an inreach. There are many stories of people communicating directly with their rescuers via inreach.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Great thread question @000

I have the Midland GMRS radio, but also, due to @idsnowghost have learned to use the IPhone app since I already have it.
I keep an extra battery charger in my sled, just in case the batteries get low and it works for charging either my phone or radio.

Thanks for this topic!
cheers,
PP