Skinning/Touring tips and techniques

Just read that. Thanks for putting me on to it. I'm looking for instruction on applying skins. Is it really as simple as putting them on straight and trimming?
I'm brand new to the sport. I've hiked for years but never split boarded. I have purchased all the gear... Ouch$$ and am super stoked to try it all out. How far is standpoint from Canada ? I've driven to Schweitzer from fernie . Is it close to there?

Hi Fjordy! It really is, just that simple. You can trim them flush or if you have the cool little trimming tool, it will cut the skins back to about the edge of the metal base (2-4mm?) It is dead simple with the tool. Just lay them on straight and you will be good. No need to try to stretch them on.

Did you get tail clips for you skins? If not, start saving your pennies. I consider them crucial (Sparks R&D make the tail clips I use.) I think they are less than $40.

Your set-up may vary, but a good use of 8 minutes to watch this vid.

Best,

Bobby

Dude thanks for the video link. Yes I got tail clips. My deal is that I bought a crazy monster board that is unusually shaped. A voile 190 Vail. Thing is gorgeous . But
There's no skin specifically made for that board and because of the v tail. Traditional tail clip kits may not work. I spoke to voile and they recommend there's that only uses adhesive. No tail clip involved. I'm leery of that
So I purchased a skin for skiis. G3 alp insist high traction skins- 140mm wide x 189-190 ... Might be too long. Hopefully they are good. Whaddya think?

I am a tinkerer, so I would definitely do something.. Just not sure what yet. 3 dumb thoughts popped into my head....
1) Think rubber bands (the kind that come on broccoli at the supermarket) and carry the tail of the skin over the board and stick to the top sheet and drop on a rubber band... told you these were dumb!
2) Attach something like a 1/2 of a k-clip to the end of the skin and maybe add the other half to your board (requires a couple holes)
3) Custom bend some wire and make a "Black Diamond" like wire bail, only much smaller for the tail of your skin.

Bonus dumb idea for the price of 3! Maybe use some webbing, canvas, etc. and devise a pocket that tail slips into and you can attach the skin to via something like a short Voile strap. Basically recreating what Sparks has done with their Tail strap kit, only customized for your board. http://www.sparkrandd.com/gear/skins-tailclips/tailclips/

Let us know what you are thinking and I am sure we can help (and I can come up with more dumb ideas.)

Just read that. Thanks for putting me on to it. I'm looking for instruction on applying skins. Is it really as simple as putting them on straight and trimming?
?
One thing I have found, especially for newbies, is that removing the wax paper and getting the skin straight onto the ski is sometimes hard. You end up pulling the skin off and putting it back on a bunch of times. One trick is to just cut sections out of the paper -- usually it's coming off the skin at the folds anyway. So you end up with like 6" exposed glue / 6" paper...all the way down the skin. Makes aligning the skins super easy, and they are just as easy to trim with the paper on as they are to trim with the paper off.

Hope that makes sense, I don't have any pictures.
*Be sure to cut the paper with scissors. If you rip it, it will leave some paper stuck to the glue once you are all done.

PowderPanda

Staff member
One trick is to just cut sections out of the paper -- usually it's coming off the skin at the folds anyway. So you end up with like 6" exposed glue / 6" paper...all the way down the skin. Makes aligning the skins super easy, and they are just as easy to trim with the paper on as they are to trim with the paper off.
*Be sure to cut the paper with scissors. If you rip it, it will leave some paper stuck to the glue once you are all done.
Excellent tip… But be sure that you are using the WAX paper.. not regular, otherwise you'd be screwed! Ha

Excellent tip… But be sure that you are using the WAX paper.. not regular, otherwise you'd be screwed! Ha
Yeah -- I mean the wax paper that comes on a brand new skin. You cut some sections of that out, so you don't have to mess with pulling a very sticky brand new skin on and off your ski as you align the skins to cut them. This works really well on BD skins, since you align them twice to trim (one a bit to the left, and again a bit to the right) in order to expose some edge.

Hey you guys. I really appreciate all the advice. Imagine how im going out of my mind w excitement waiting to go split boarding for the first time ever... Piece by piece all my brand new top of the line gear is trickling in. Last will be the skins.
I got a pair of G3 skins meant for skis as my board is so long.
190cm as Ive said before and vtail
So making a regular set up work is problematic.
I think I have it sorted now. I returned the g3 skins
getting voile skins and a spark tail clip
gonna flip the rig and rivet the tip bales on the tail and use the spark tail clip as a tip clip cause the shape matches.

Fjordy,

Where do you live? I am in CDA. I have the G3 skin trimming tool. You are more than welcome to borrow it or bring your gear over and trim them up here, if you want. I think they also sell them at Mountain Gear (G3 or BD version.)

Congrats on the new rig and pray for snow!!!!

Best,

Bobby

Aw man! More than generous offer . I live in Toronto. I'll be out in Revvy and or castle in feb 1-10
Definitely looking for a splitboard mentor
As I was saying
I got the voile skins coming and spark tail clips. I think it'll be good.
Drop me an email at fjordy@me.com
Maybe we will make some turns together!?!?

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hey Jordy.. Yeah, I think the Spark aftermarket clip[s will work fine.
Voile is in Utah, so they have much different snow conditions. Without tail clips, a day can become horrendous in the snow we get in the NW & BC.
Wish I could make it up there!! Glad Spark got ya dialed in on your crampons!

Learned a new one the other day, maybe it's common knowledge and I'm just way behind. Say your glue is starting to freeze up/you've got snow in it. Rub affected area back and forth fast on your thigh. It shouldn't stick to your snow pants and it will warm up and clean out your glue so you can get back to sucking at kick turns, or whatever you were doing before.