Real time Avalanche conditions with Avanet

TGR recently held safety week and Avatech presented some of there new technology for snow professionals but they also have a new product that is designed to bridge the gap between recreationalists and the pros.

It's a smart phone app called "Avanet". The app allows the user to view multiple types of data georeferenced to show current conditions fellow users are experiencing. Example: you are skiing backcountry outside of lookout pass and you see an recent Avalanche and/or heard snow collapsing below your feet, you could take a photo tag the location you saw the incident and share it with the community of IPAC forecasters, skiing buddies,...?

The app is free and has man other useful map functions for recording vert, distance,...

Here is a brief video:

http://www.tetongravity.com/video/gear-tech/avatechthe-crowd-sourced-technology-thats-changing-the-backcountry

I really like the idea of the Avatech smart probe. Seems like a lot of potential. A friend of mine is getting a chance to use a demo this season in Utah. I will report what his thoughts are after he has had some time with it. Right now the $1800 price tag is too high for recreational users but let's hope the technology takes off and it becomes more affordable.

Cell phones have their place and can be a great tool and but it's a good reminder to know that they have been proven to cause significant interference with beacons.

Last edited:
As one of the early supporters/funders/purchasers of the SP1, I am currently in possession of two Avatech probes. The early supporters were recently sent an SP2 to replace our SP1.

While taking an SP1 and SP2 to the same location on the same day at the same time would allow us to compare the probes data collecting abilities to one another, it would offer no benefit in increasing data collected from various slopes and aspects throughout our region. On top of that, my pack already weights a ton.

As I have yet to receive a return request for the SP1 or a shipping label requesting it to be shipped back to Avatech, I am happy to offer anyone who would like to head out and use the SP1 the opportunity to do so.
SP.JPG
Disclaimer from Avatech:

***AVANET AND THE SP1/SP2 DO NOT REPLACE YOUR BRAIN.

There is absolutely no substitute for sound judgment and experience. The avalanche problem is incredibly complex and we are not building a magic wand to solve it. The SP2 and Avanet are simply tools that can help you gather more information more quickly, with the ability to SHARE information in real-time, to help you and others make more informed, data driven decisions. Our tools in no way collect all the information you would need to make standalone decisions in mountainous terrain. It is your responsibility to also gather your own information about the weather, avoid terrain traps, conduct stability tests, review local avalanche reports, etc. Our tools help you access more information, but your decisions and what you do with this information is up to you.

Last edited: