One Sled with a Snowboarder Passenger

Hi All,
I own a sled and have friends that are split-boarders. Yesterday I towed my split-boarding buddy for a couple of miles and it damn near killed his front leg. What methods do others employ?

Try having one guy on the gas and the other on the brake. You will both be standing the whole time on your respective sides and both will be required to shift weight accordingly when necessary. Always put the "new" individual (less experienced in sled driving) on the brake. You can always take your hand off the gas to slow down or grab the brake from them. Much harder to take over the gas in the "oh shit" moment. If you have a 3rd on the trip they can usually sit down and hang on for dear life with their head nuzzled between your crotches, keeping their weight forward. Yes it will be tight.

I find this to be far easier then being towed in regardless if you are a skier or boarder. I will kindly offer my teaching skills of these techniques to anyone who would like to take me up on this offer as I am currently sled less.

Update: I just found some old footage I had around here and clipped it, hopefully this helps.

Last edited:

PowderPanda

Staff member
Since I have a ski/board rack on mine.. I can do it nut to butt or Canadian Bacon style like The Slayer notes.
Canadian style works great for snowboarders due to our boots. If you don't have Vibram soles on your ski boots, this style become hard due to the vibration and trying to stand/stay on.
Canadian style can be very productive though.. It is a team work effort!

This last weekend I had Shane sit in front of me so he was up against the front/handlebar area.. and I stood behind him with my junk up against his back (he liked it.. scary.. LoL). It worked great. His pack was strapped to the rack and the boards were full out of the way.
In this pic you can see how the boards are attached. My pack is basically where Shane sat as I stood behind.
IMG_3686.jpg