New to town, new to Splitboarding

Hi, I have some folks to hit the backcountry with and want to demo a splitboard before purchase. Any info you have on where to demo, good locations to ride and pros/cons with brands would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PowderPanda

Staff member
Good evening Matt,
I can talk split all day long!! LoL
I currently ride a Prior Khyber 165 split and Prior AMF 165 split. LOVE the Khyber… But alas, I broke it last week on an uncovered boulder that sent me flying into another boulder. I pick up a new Trapper Ursla Major this week when I'm in BC for the Canuck Splitfest.

Another fantastic board company that is out of Colorado and have excellent warranty is OZ snowboards.
http://www.ozsnowboards.com
If I wasn't working with Trapper.. I would be getting an OZ sent to me! Although I just checked and they are sold out.. Ugh… Good company and great people!! Trapper is as well! But that being said, ya run into the price.
K2 makes a great inexpensive setup. I've never personally ridden one, but I've heard good things. Kyle Miller (check him on FB) rides them and he tours a CRAP load in the PNW.

As for the backcountry, be sure to get at least an avy awareness class by Idaho Panhandle Avy Center. Check their site for times and of course.. have the equipment if you don't. I know.. it's a cost outlay. But what's ones life worth!

If you have the avy gear and want to get a tour in.. get on the tour partner side and let us know. best to put it out by Thursday though for people to get an idea of what they want to do!!

Great to have you on here!!!

Rode Voiles for 3 years, good boards and the company/customer service is fantastic.

But... Burton has my $$. Freebird last year and Spliff this year. Their shapes are fantastic, best feeling splits I've ridden (and I've ridden a few). Their tech is not stale, their shapes are refined and the boards are tough.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Yeah.. This last week I rode with guys in BC that had the Burton Freebirds and they liked them. One guy has the new Overlord and is not too keen on it (And he is set up with Burton, gets goods thrown to him). He was riding the Freebird instead.
BTW.. if you can get to Revy and Roger's Pass with a solid crew.. Best place EVER!! I'll write on that later.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Chatted with Greg from Trapper Snowboards on Monday…
They are looking at doing a demo day down here in the Panhandle. When they determine if they are and when, I'll be sure to post.
When I was there, they also lent me a Ursa Major solid for resort riding.. Sweet board! But I'm loving the splitty Ursa