Search underway for three people missing after avalanche in Shoshone County

Saw this made the national news. They found 2 and 1 is presumed dead. Great reminder to stay aware even on terrain we ski all the time!

I would definitely like to see some more detailed information released about this avalanche. even some pictures of the slide area.
The latest, with names. Not to shame, but just in case you happen to know any of them (as we do in this house):

that report says they where cross country skiing, i wonder where exactly it happened.

I would definitely like to see some more detailed information released about this avalanche. even some pictures of the slide area.

that report says they where cross country skiing, i wonder where exactly it happened.
Anything is conjecture at this point.

IPAC has plans to investigate (if they haven't already). I'm sure those items of interest will be included. See the Forecast Discussion at the bottom of the page. https://www.idahopanhandleavalanche.org/forecasts/#/forecast/st-regis--silver/128879

Absolutely PP... As a "survivor" from decades ago, I can tell you it will be with them forever. The key is for the survivors and the back country community to learn from these tragic events. There is always a positive lesson to be had. It will only be learned if information is shared. We should learn by our mistakes and other people's mistakes. I get the privacy aspect for sure, but eventually, there is probably something all of us can learn from this tragedy without having to make the same mistake. Just one guy's opinion.
We have generally stable snow packs here, so it is easy to get lulled into complacency. Then, we get an event like this past week, and it is easy to forget that Mother Nature doesn't care how long we've skied, or what we skied during the last storm, or...
Prayers to the family and friends of those involved. ~Tiny

idsnowghost

Staff member
Prayers to those involved in this accident and to their friends and family. Thankful for the first responders who assisted.

In due time, perhaps we as a community can learn from this awful event. IPAC visited the site over the weekend and will have a final report out by the end of the week with additional details.

Attached below is a photo of the fracture line/crown (sourced from Spokane County's Air 1):

Thanks for posting this. It answers some of my questions as to where it happened. Saying near Stevens peak encompasses a lot of area

Mike, Thanks for sending this report out. It answers a lot of my questions.
IPAC put out a great report here. Everyone on your site should read and study the report to learn a few things, no matter how long they've been earning their turns. It can be a great discussion item for groups who regularly ski together -how would you handle the situation? Have you done the beacon and rescue training with your go-to ski partners? Did you ski during those few days of storm and cold? What terrain did you ski, knowing the avy conditions and the extreme temperatures, which can turn even a broken ski or binding into an epic? How is the group dynamics within your favored partners?
The season is still young, so it is a perfect time to discuss these dynamics and make sure you are all on the same page before you head to the mountains where powder, sunshine and excitement can blur your vision. Remember, when in doubt, there will always be another day to hit that line as long as you make it back safely from this day.
~Tiny