Access Points

Hey all,

I recently moved to Sandpoint ID and currently working in Newport WA. I grew up in Rathdrum and skied the local resorts. I am looking for access to backcountry that can be reached on foot as I do not own a sled at this time. Any access points to Sandpoint, Clark fork, Bonner ferry, or priest lake would be appreciated. I am not super comfortable with dangerous terrain so lower angle if possible. Thanks in advance for any insight.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Here's a few ideas, but mainly you will be seeing long approaches on logging roads. Most have a trip report or so on here:

Roundtop via Trestle Creek or Strong Creek (long)

Bald Mtn via Schweitzer Condo road (can this still be done?)

Scotchman (long approach, no real parking)

Snow Creek out of Bonners Ferry (plowed for a logging operation, but I don't think near as far as previous years?)

Call IDL in Coolin and ask about any Winter logging on the East side of Priest Lake. (let us know what you find out!)

Maybe bring chains and go on the weekends for those last two..

FWIW we’ve been on a lot of Priest Lake east side logging roads this week, no logging activity or warning signs. Roads pretty fun if you just want to get out, off roads pretty low coverage … Anyone skied Eddy Peak? Going to take ATV there tomorrow.

idsnowghost

Staff member
FWIW we’ve been on a lot of Priest Lake east side logging roads this week, no logging activity or warning signs. Roads pretty fun if you just want to get out, off roads pretty low coverage … Anyone skied Eddy Peak? Going to take ATV there tomorrow.
Share some photos/beta if you can! :)

I know there's some folks with cabins on Priest Lake that often snowmobile up and ski Eddy Peak. Not sure if there's a trip report on here or not? Great views on a clear day.