Touring Ski Advice

Hey guys! I'm looking to get my first pair of touring skis while the end-of-season sales are hot, but need confirmation that I'm on the right track with my current choices given my ski style. I've done some research and narrowed my list down to 4 skis: Black Crows Navis Freebird, Black Crows Corvus Freebird, Faction Agent 3.0, and the Atomic Backland 107 (I am open to other recommendations too). Note: I will be pairing the ski with a Fischer Tour Classic binding since I have a hookup there.

I tend to ski with a more forward-driven stance having come from a racing background but often find that I sit back if I find myself in a bind. I have a healthy amount of backcountry experience but have only skied a handful of super deep powder days (aka very little powder surfing experience). I'm very confident in the trees and would love to cut up some alpine meadows too. I'll be moving to the Panhandle area within the next 2 months and want something that skis the terrain well too.

I'm not necessarily looking for the lightest touring ski but would appreciate a light ski that could withstand a reasonable amount of wear and tear. I've read that Black Crows skis tend to be a bit heavier compared to others on the market but make up for it with their downhill performance, which is why I'm gravitating towards 2 of their models (not sure which I like more thought). However, many have noted both skis get fussy when the rider throws too much weight in the back seat. I've done less research on the Faction Agent 3.0s and the Atomic Backland 107s but they're on the list because they have good reviews and offer more bang for your buck given the post-season sales right now.

In case this is any help, I'm 6'2" and 155 lbs.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Super stoked to become a part of this community!!

If you are not looking at being super weight conscious, then really go with whatever ski you are most comfortable on if you have one. Some of the best touring skis I have had are the ones I used regularly inbounds but then slapped some dynafits on em and started hiking.

But, if you're needing new skis...I get it! My only experience with the ones you mentioned are the Backlands and not necessarily a recent model. They ski pow great as any ski would, but I noticed quite a bit of torsional deflection in the tip of the ski in variable crust conditions. If felt unnerving to me. but I am quite a bit bigger (6'5", 215lbs)

Around the panhandle, unless you have or have access to a sled, your super deep pow-surfing opportunities are pretty limited. Lots of tree skiing available though, which brings more typical variable conditions with a very fluid freezing levels that have appeared as the new norm over the last 4-5 years.

Probably wasn't the answer you were looking for, but it's worth what you paid for it. =)

You are on the right track… all of those skis with that binding will be really nice… and they will make a good inbounds setup as long as you aren’t just hitting the terrain park all day. I have friends that love the atomic 107’s… I’m on the 100’s and really like them because they are so light… I ended up with the 188’s and they are a little bit too long for me (5’11” 180lbs) they do amazing in most conditions but i do struggle a little bit in tighter trees.. which we have a lot of around here. I think the real question is what boot you will pair with a setup like this? To add to Bretts comments Most of our touring around here requires long approaches if your not using a sled or doing lift access from the resorts. Ive found its really nice to have a binding setup that can accommodate a couple of different boots, whether you have two or may end up getting a second pair down the road i think it pays to keep your options open… Some of the new “lean beef” boots on the market right now can be pretty darn liberating for long tours and still ski quite well, being fairly lightweight but mainly having an extremely good range of motion which makes the touring way more enjoyable in my opinion. If i know the snow is good and I’m planning on a big day out in the mountains with fit partners I’ll take my light boots, if I’m skiing lifts or side country, or if i know the snow is crud or I really want to ski something aggressive or trying to hit drops ill grab the screw driver and adjust my binding to the beefier boot. I’m eyeing the dynafit radical pro boot as the best option on the market right now for what i do… really good ROM, stiff performance, and easy transition. Three of my ski partners are on the Fischer traverse boots and they love them, but you’d probably prefer something a bit stiffer like their new transalp. I wouldn’t rule out some of the Fischer skis if you’ve got the hookup either. See you out in the mountains! Cheers!