This weekend Avy Info

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hey Folks,
IPAC will be doing their first avy bulletin this Friday. So be on the lookout, we will post it as well.
If you follow us on FB, you get first hand daily data from Tom Eddy (snow safety director at The Schizz).
In discussions with him last week, there is already some interesting layers up North.
We had some serious winds on Sunday with moderate snow.
Three of us toured up Glidden Ridge and dug a pit Sunday. Most notably was the huge cornice that formed in about a 24hr period. Also, a lot of wind formations on the windward side (South/SE) side indicating a lot of wind activity.
I dropped the cornice onto the slope below (with spotters for my safety) which did not produce a slide. Just the flow of snow under the cornice head.
That said, on the pit I dug at 90cm deep I noticed a slight ice crust layer at 8cm from the ground. It appeared to be breaking down, but did get a CTH 22 @ Q2 on the layer.
Everything above 35cm to 90cm Mark was new snow over last 24hrs.
Now, we had cold clear nights with wind for the past few days. Add to that a new system coming in Promising 20+" of new.
Do your due diligence out there. Don't get too excited. we have a great season in front of us, please give the mountains respect.
If you're out this weekend, go low angle and know where terrain traps/hazards are. And please be sure to tell us about what you see in Tour Reports!

Cheers!!
Powderpanda

Last edited:
Deep up north...winds hit SW slopes pretty hard, but skiing was solid on Tues..No pits, just skied. A bit slabby in predictable places. Cornices rather small so far, given the wind and fair amount of new snow. Snow not consolidated much as of Tues.. 10" ski penetration, shin-to-knee trail breaking...Some sleds were having serious troubles off the roads on Sunday, (no bucket of tears here), as the deep, light snow wasn't cooperating.

Deep up north...winds hit SW slopes pretty hard, but skiing was solid on Tues..No pits, just skied. A bit slabby in predictable places. Cornices rather small so far, given the wind and fair amount of new snow. Snow not consolidated much as of Tues.. 10" ski penetration, shin-to-knee trail breaking...Some sleds were having serious troubles off the roads on Sunday, (no bucket of tears here), as the deep, light snow wasn't cooperating.

North of Sandpoint, in the Selkirks is my usual haunt...west side and east side on Tuesday, north of Sundance...
Guessing the winds of yesterday changed things unfortunately.