Steep and Deep without a sled? Suggestions near Sagle/Sandpoint Please!

Hello Fellow Backcountry Addicts. I am really wanting to venture out on New Years Day to make some fresh turns, preferable at least 1000 vertical feet if possible, but do not have a snowmobile or a pass to Schweitzer. I am an expert snowboarder with a lot of backcountry and sidecountry experience in the Sierra Nevada Range near Mammoth Mountain and June Mountain CA. I have a decent pair of snowshoes and don't mind slogging through some deep snow to get to the top. Any suggestions or partners are greatly appreciated!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Todd,
Not sure where you are living. Which makes all the difference with regard to travel time. If you are in Spokane or CDA area. Lookout pass is a good option, pay the 1 lift price to the top of the chair (takes out a 1+ mile skin in) then get to the back side of Lookout Pass ski resort and head up the road (check it on Google Earth). If you venture too far back, better have a buddy and avy equipment as it gets into some big slide paths. If you drop early through the trees your a lot safer. (This is just an example of the area behind Lookout. There is a lot more.. review the Trip Reports and you'll see more).
On the way out, hit the backside chair and then ride out from the resort back to the p-lot.

There are options in Sherman pass or even Mt Spokane backside (might be hammered now though).

You can access side country at Schweitzer with fairly minimal effort and no lifts. I've heard there's also access from Caribou Creek Rd off the Pack River if you're willing to put in the miles. There are a few forums that talk in detail about Schweitzer's backcountry and Big Blue on the site as well. Props to Garret for the sweet access maps!!!

Blue lines are existing skin/cat trails, Orange is Schweitzer's boundary, and red are popular lines down. Push pins are bc boundary gates. Im sure you could hit up Garret on this site and get some more info on the Schizz's side country as well.
rsz_schweitzer_map.jpg cat tracks.jpg

PowderPanda

Staff member
Not sure if Garrett is in the country right now. I believe he was headed off somewhere,... He did hit that stuff a lot.

How safe is big blue? I know a partner is always ideal but is it something that I could skin up after taking the t-bar and ride down then catch snow-ghost or Stella?

idsnowghost

Staff member
How safe is big blue? I know a partner is always ideal but is it something that I could skin up after taking the t-bar and ride down then catch snow-ghost or Stella?
Big blue is definitely avalanche terrain and slides. (Make sure you have your avy gear if leaving the gates anywhere at Schweitzer) A partner is a good idea, might poke around the lodge in the morning and see if anyone is headed that way.