St. Regis Slide

That's a real bummer!

I had to drive over to Kalispell and back today.
It was snowing heavily this morning on my way to MT on 4th of July pass, and was snowing heavily at 3:15 when I went over the pass on the way back west into Idaho.
This morning it was snowing just below the pass about a mile on the Idaho side, and then all the way to the rest stop on the MT side.
This afternoon it was snowing from Deborgia MT to Mullan ID.
I was also at Lookout on Monday skiing out of bounds on the south facing slope. By 1:30 Monday it was pretty sun affected in the open areas and starting to get heavy.
I would guess the south facing slopes have a good crust on them and the new snow is primed to slide on it.
Anyone get out today on skis in the BC and can tell us what its really like?

I would like to ask that nobody else comment on this post until some official information is released from the parties involved. Unless those comments are related to the prayers or well wishes of the guys and families involved. I don't want anyone to second guess these guys, say anything disrespectfull, or speculate on facts that may be untrue. The last thing these guys (or their families) need is to read anything upsetting. We all know there is a learning experience from this but we can wait a few weeks until all the details are shared. My thoughts and prayers are with those involved.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Thanks for being respectful everyone.. I saw those posts on FB. People who don't know the facts.

IPAC has downgraded the Avy conditions as a result of this incident to High.

Last edited:
I would like to ask that nobody else comment on this post until some official information is released from the parties involved. Unless those comments are related to the prayers or well wishes of the guys and families involved. I don't want anyone to second guess these guys, say anything disrespectfull, or speculate on facts that may be untrue. The last thing these guys (or their families) need is to read anything upsetting. We all know there is a learning experience from this but we can wait a few weeks until all the details are shared. My thoughts and prayers are with those involved.
Agreed! Could not say it better myself. Just lots of prayers right now. Thanks for saying this, k.Pow.

Going to head in there tomorrow to check things out. I don't plan on posting about it or making any calls or anything of that sort. This could happen to any of us and I am just looking to see if there is anything to be learned on a personal level. Is anyone in the know willing to share more specifically the location the slide occurred? PM me. The panhandle backcountry world is small and most of us are connected in one way or another. Positive vibes to the skiers and families involved.

idsnowghost

Staff member
If anyone wants the full story, no details spared, my friend Rich Landers has a piece that will be in the Spokesman tomorrow: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/feb/27/surviving-a-bad-break/

The support I've received from the backcountry community has been overwhelming. I truly thank all of you for your visits, messages, thoughts and positive vibes. Luckily, I will eventually make a full recovery. Hope to rediscover my love for the snowy peaks next winter.

Thanks for sharing your story Mike. It gives us all a lot of food for thought as we all take a lot of potential risk enjoying the mountains in the winter. I am sure you have learned a lot from your experience and it will serve you well. Praying for a full recovery and renewed love of of our snowy peaks. Looking froward to a tour with you next year.:)

So glad you are on the mend Mike, looking forward to seeing you on the snow.
If anyone wants the full story, no details spared, my friend Rich Landers has a piece that will be in the Spokesman tomorrow: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/feb/27/surviving-a-bad-break/

The support I've received from the backcountry community has been overwhelming. I truly thank all of you for your visits, messages, thoughts and positive vibes. Luckily, I will eventually make a full recovery. Hope to rediscover my love for the snowy peaks next winter.