So, you are ready to buy a snowmobile!

PowderPanda

Staff member
This time of year is an excellent time to buy a sled… and from the sounds of the ping of Mike and I phone from members thinking about it this year… We're stoked to see it.

That said, I wanted to runs few things down to look for when searching.
Where:
1. Check the good shops weekly (http://www.vpowersports.com/map_hours.asp or http://www.allsportracing.com) Both will carry used sleds and they go through them before they're s sold (I personally used Valley Power sports in Kingston, ID and had great service with them).
2. Craigslist. Awesome place to look and get a feel of what prices are, but buyer beware.
3. RV Trader. Like Craigslist, but in paper form

What::
-This is where you need to be careful. If the sled has a lot of modifications to it (engine, shocks, etc) good chance it has been BEAT on. I just looked and saw a sled for a decent price that has a pic of the rider dropping a cornice.. That's a deal breaker also. Check the miles versus how old the sled is. My 2009 Skidoo Summit XP had 3000 when I bought it in 10/13, I now have 3455miles..

-Ask why they are selling the sled. Many people buy a new sled every year and sell the previous.. it's a game actually, where they "snow check" the sled, make a few payments then you pay it off for them as they pick up the new sled in Oct/Nov (these are obvious as the prices run really high). For most of us, these sleds are overkill anyway..

-If you plan on just using the sled for forest service road access to zones you plan to park and hike, look for something that is not high end.

-Will it take 2 people on it.. Although doubling up on sleds must be done carefully due to stress on shocks and clutch, many of us do it often. Then you ned to take into consideration carrying your board/skis. Does the sled had longer track for a longer tunnel to allow for a rack to fit on. Obviously, a 163 track will tack anything.. but a 135 trek not so much…

-Once you see a sled you like.. do a little research, talk to people about that specific sled. For instance, Skidoo Summit 2007-08 and 2010-12 had engine issues.
The 2006 & 2009 don't (can you guess which 2 sleds I own) Bringing up another point, did they do recent engine work on the sled, my 2006 top end was rebuilt when I got it. So that relieved some of the worry about sled.

Again.. ask people.. I'm partial to Skidoo's.. but doesn't mean the others are not good sleds. Mike and Brandon run Arctic Cats.. (Realize I blow them away on the straights… ahahaahaaa)
Also, use the internet to Google issues or reviews.

Bobby Tarr recently sent me a picture text of snow and a sled that read 19 Friday until Winter!!! Now 18!!!

Again.. ask people.. I'm partial to Skidoo's.. but doesn't mean the others are not good sleds. Mike and Brandon run Arctic Cats.. (Realize I blow them away on the straights… ahahaahaaa)!
Unsubstantiated! :D
Larry, you and I still need to line up for a drag out on the lake one of these days. I'm sure you'll win, but bet the old orange monstrosity won't get beat by as much as ya think!

I've seen some great deals on sleds less than 5 years old on CL the past few months, go get em boys!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Oh… and "LIKE" Mountain Sledder Swap Meeting on the FB. Follow them for sled stuff too.. But they are all over the place.. so you have to pay attention to the location.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Oh… and "LIKE" Mountain Sledder Swap Meeting on the FB. Follow them for sled stuff too.. But they are all over the place.. so you have to pay attention to the location.
There's a Spokane/CDA specific group, but most the sleds I've seen on there are snow checks or heavily modded. Occasionally there is a great deal though, especially with some hanging it up after such a poor winter.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Thanks for posting, very helpful. Any thoughts on trailers for those of us without trucks?
Nick
Good question. Depends on funds. A new trailer is optimum but costs up to $2g's for new. I scoured CL until I found mine. I love it.. for $350.. That said, after coming back to our trailers one day in the mtn's, Mike and I found out trailers cockeyed.. Shortly after that I found that my left wheel was almost off and had ruined the axle. I do not know if my trailer was vandalized or if it was just something that happened.. Coincidence?
I bought a new axle for $200 (with hubs) and BAM.. So, I am still under many of the sled trailers out there.

If you buy a sled off CL, no matter how nice it looks, buy new hubs and bearings.. this will be like $50.. (Robblees in Spokane carries EVERYTHING you need). Back the bearing good and BAM. Also, there are great vid's on Youtube for doing all these things from replacing the axle, hubs to packing the bearings (get surgical gloves from Walgreens.. a lot less messy).

Cheers,
PP

Selling my 1999 summit. Bought it from a little old lady last year to try this whole sled and skin deal.
Liked it, so bought a 2013. So this one needs to go. Seriously clean machine and runs excellent.
The lady wasn't that old, just had to throw that in! Ha Ha! But it was a lady!
I will list over in the classifieds

Yep, the 2013 is a 163 track 800. way more machine than I need. But it will be nice when hauling two people, and it has reverse!!
asking 1600 for the 1999. listed it here, in a couple weeks maybe I will list it elsewhere. just thought I would give the skiers and boarders first go at it. I would rather run into them in the mountains than more sled heads!!
Maybe I am just selfish!