Relocated from UT

Grew up in the area skiing Schweitzer. Spent the last several years in Salt Lake and am deeply envious of how much is already "in"... naturally the year I depart. Hoping to start notching days this weekend and am trying to feel out where folks recommend. I sit basically on the WA/ID border off Sacheen Lake and don't mind driving a couple hours if needed. Any recommendations are much appreciated.

Comfortable with approaches and descents requiring technical gear/skills., but I get the sense there isn't much of that in the immediate area. I'd love to be wrong! Thanks all.

Hoping to make the most of the inland NW this winter and bag a couple of the 50. The Sickle and Devils Bedstead are top of the list, would welcome partner(s) for big or any lines!

Cheers. -Matt

I feel ya on watching UT go off, but rest assured, we will be skiing untracked pow aplenty soon.

Others may have had a different experience, but I feel like locally the snow is not there yet for fun skiing. Over the 5th, @Patrick B and I checked out the snowpack at the usual suspect, Steven's Peak, hoping for some pow but only found a thick rain crust. The big wind event we had most likely stripped the powder we did get to somewhere in Montana. Based on some other locals insta stories from this past weekend, looks like things really have not changed.

Up north I would speculate that it could be better, perhaps in the Selkirks on either side of the border. Skied at 49 degrees north this weekend and the snow was fairly sugary. Supposedly Kootenay Pass is sitting at an 18" base according to the point forecast on Open Snow, but I have found those estimates to be optimistic generally.

Also feel free to shot me a PM if you are interested in touring partners, always welcome other Western state expats.

Kootenay has more than 18" but also the crust. I was up there this past weekend. Feel free to send me a PM or text if you are in need of a partner. 540.330.7051

Hi Matt, I’m from SLC but live in CDA now. I lived in W Washington before here and that’s where I got into backcountry and skimo (not an expert by any means but love it). It’s a bit of a drive, but some amazing alpine/technical ski routes to be had in the Cascades too, as close as a 3-4 hr drive away. Cheers!