Next weekend...

PowderPanda

Staff member
Anyone getting out into the mountain's next weekend? Look like we should get some decent accumulation built up!

I have super light backcountry XC setup that I wanna take out this weekend. This is my first winter up here and I dont know where to go or find the info yet. Looking for ungroomed trails.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Jubil… With this next system coming in.. I think everything will remain ungroomed until more snow falls.
I see you live in St. Maries which leaves a little bit of a drive for you. Some guys outta Moscow go to Freezout (Check out Mountainmaniac's Tour Report ( http://www.panhandlebackcountry.com/threads/11-11-13-freeze-out-saddle-tour.166/ )
Lookout Pass should be good if this system rolls through right… And would allow you to take the road South East of the resort. Easy road the whole way!

If snow were to drop below 3000ft, 4th of July pass with decent coverage is a nice place for XC.

Mike and I are planning on getting out to check the early season snowpack this weekend. The are we plan to go tentatively is high risk though… But there is a road there we will be on which would be good.. although in the heavy season is all sledders..

Oh… check with the NFS as well… They have XC maps.

idsnowghost

Staff member
I have super light backcountry XC setup that I wanna take out this weekend. This is my first winter up here and I dont know where to go or find the info yet. Looking for ungroomed trails.
A few options this week that can get you into the high country a bit easier:

Word is access to Freezeout/Mark's Butte out of Clarkia is plowed by loggers to almost the pit toilet (5800ft). Usually it's a very long slog.

Thompson Pass (4850ft), between Murray and Thompson Falls on the stateline, is also plowed and open. It usually closes around Thanksgiving day. Blossom Lakes trail might be fun on an XC setup..

Unfortunately, for this weekend it looks like the rain affected everything below ~6300ft in the Silver Valley. Not sure you will find much great skiing until we get a refresh. :(