nearest backcountry shredding to Rathdrum?

Hey all I'm new to the panhandle backcountry and will be spending a lot of time in Rathdrum this winter at my family's new house on twin lakes. Can anyone give me any information/resources on potential areas to splitboard closest to Rathdrum or any regions within the panhandle I should start researching? Thanks a lot!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hey all I'm new to the panhandle backcountry and will be spending a lot of time in Rathdrum this winter at my family's new house on twin lakes. Can anyone give me any information/resources on potential areas to splitboard closest to Rathdrum or any regions within the panhandle I should start researching? Thanks a lot!
Hey Kevin, Welcome to PHBC!! Well, a few questions, what's your previous experience and what do you consider "close" At Twin Lakes there is pretty easy access, albeit still will be a bit of a drive, to some great terrain. When snow is real low, Rathdrum mtn has been hit.. Was trying to find the TR. I'll keep looking.

Been resort riding all my life but last season was my first in the backcountry with a splitboard. I did 20+ splitboard tours among some of the classics in the Tahoe area as well as spring trips to the eastern sierras and Mt. Lassen. I am used to commuting 1-2 hours every time I ride. On a typical day trip I prefer to keep my destination within a 2 hour drive. Thanks for replying!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Kevin,

There is not as much road accessed terrain as around the Tahoe area.
A snowmobile can be of much assistance (or hindrance) to cover some of the local approaches.

Yup.. What ccslider said.. There is some, but having at least a basic sled comes in handy in North Idaho as the approaches can be long.

That said, there is some off lift serviced (Schweitzer, that close comes in handy to have a season pass) and a few other gems (Mullan, Lookout Pass area).

BTW, were you on Splitboard.com?

Great to know guys thanks. I do happen to have family with sleds in Rathdrum so I'll definitely need to take advantage of that it sounds like.

Yeah haha they shared a photo of myself riding Lundy Canyon in the Eastern Sierras last May. I actually became friends with the founder Chris Gallardo after meeting his son through a friend. Had an awesome sledding/splitboarding day trip to Mt. Price with Chris last winter and went on a pond skimming trip to the Fountain of Youth with him this Summer, awesome dude.

PowderPanda

Staff member
G

Yeah haha they shared a photo of myself riding Lundy Canyon in the Eastern Sierras last May. I actually became friends with the founder Chris Gallardo after meeting his son through a friend. Had an awesome sledding/splitboarding day trip to Mt. Price with Chris last winter and went on a pond skimming trip to the Fountain of Youth with him this Summer, awesome dude.
Awesome... Yeah, Chris and Colin are good peeps... Awesome to have you up here Kevin!!