Mt Spokane

Hey guys-
Now that Mt Spokane is open their uphill policy has ruined my pre-work skiing. My goal is to be done by 0800 which is not possible for me with the 0715 start time. Is there anyway around this? How strict is that start time...?

Thanks,
Tyler

Pretty sure there is nothing stopping you from using the main Sno-Park parking lot before the lodge and then skinning through the woods. You'll just need the sno park permit and stay on the right side of the boundary to play by the rules.

Just more restriction and further fee required access to public lands!

There are many in the uphill community who have this dilemma and have talked to the park and resort to request an earlier start. I checked in with some of the OG folks who have been making the request and here is what they shared and were in agreement on...

"We all want to start earlier but in all of the meetings with the park service this was not an area they were willing to accommodate (the early start request). In the absence of getting permission, please do not risk our access to uphill travel by not following the rules. In short, lobby to get a rule change or comply for the sake of the entire uphill community."

If you are up for getting a meeting on the calendar with the Parks and the Resort there are MANY of us who would be there in an instant. Keep in touch!

I'd love to try to meet with them for sure, although it sounds like it may be somewhat futile. I'm new to going uphill in a resort so this has been such a lame surprise.

More wisdom from the OG crew who helped pioneer the uphill policy...

Situation: Part A. Skiers are entering Mt Spokane State Park before park hours for unsanctioned recreational activity (not a condo owner or lessee employee). Part B. skiers are starting uphill before the scheduled 7:15 start time set by Mt Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park.

Assessment:

• Mt Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park sets the rules for use. We either observe them or loose access.
  • Mt Spokane State Park only needs one grumpy plow driver to get frustrated, notify Mt Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park, then Mt Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park has a much bigger incentive to shut down a small program like this in the interest of their broader operational goals.
    • I guarantee you that the Mt Operations staff would love for these extra headaches to just go away.
  • It is within the jurisdictional rights of State Parks to not only tow vehicles that are blocking safety operations such as plowing, but it is also within their purview to impose fiscal penalties. We would be wise to remember that State Park Rangers are a branch of law enforcement.
Recommendation:
1. We (uphill skiers) need to be our own police. This means we as users need to say something to our peers in-person or online when we see a lack of compliance. Dogs in the resort, even when the resort is closed. Use of the designated uphill route (not crossing a race course). Starting too early. Each of these situations warrants leadership from uphill users to create the environment that can be supported by Mt Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park. If we don't lead the way, not only by setting the example, but holding others to the rules of the space, penalty is the only, and inevitable, outcome.
2. We as leaders of this interest group can identify how to best channel our request for a time change to the State Parks Board. We can provide a pathway for these requests from users to be heard. I honestly don't know if it is a letter campaign, a group meeting with Park Rangers, etc. Whatever the pathway, creating a place for user interest in making a time change would be helpful for everyone. We also need to be honest that shifting the park open time for uphill use is likely a multi-year endeavor.
2a. Is anyone currently attending the Friends of Mt Spokane group meetings to discuss these issues with other Mt Spokane State Park user interests? I would be interested in putting a few on my calendar.

On another note there are some cool BC Ski events the Spokane Mountaineers are putting on this week and next. I outline all of it on my post from yesterday... www.bcskifriends.com Come to one of the events and let's chat more!

However frustrating I feel about it, I do agree and have no intent of touring in bounds against the rules. I don't want to make it worse for those that use it.

I have not been able to find anything regarding "start times" for the snowmobile lot. Sno park permit of course. As long as you aren't impeding plows, you could still start early right? Just staying on the outside of the boundary line right?

Good question... the park officially opens at 7am (says the website). That is when they usually swing the half-gate all the way open. It's a funny deal since they have a sign as you drive into the park that says 6:30am I believe. They move the open time back to 7am in the winter for plowing.

I emailed the GM to try to get a conversation going again. I know another person was going to try and engage with the Friends of Mt Spokane group since they also have a voice with the Park and the Resort a couple times a year when they all meet... https://www.mountspokane.org/. Feel free to hit up the park, resort, or the friends group!

If the park doesn’t even open until 0700 then I’m definitely screwed for pre-work skiing. I’ll just reminisce on my wonderful pre-season laps. Interested to see if this develops into anything though.

More wisdom from the OG crew who helped pioneer the uphill policy...

Situation: Part A. Skiers are entering Mt Spokane State Park before park hours for unsanctioned recreational activity (not a condo owner or lessee employee). Part B. skiers are starting uphill before the scheduled 7:15 start time set by Mt Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park.

Assessment:

• Mt Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park sets the rules for use. We either observe them or loose access.
  • Mt Spokane State Park only needs one grumpy plow driver to get frustrated, notify Mt Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park, then Mt Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park has a much bigger incentive to shut down a small program like this in the interest of their broader operational goals.
    • I guarantee you that the Mt Operations staff would love for these extra headaches to just go away.
  • It is within the jurisdictional rights of State Parks to not only tow vehicles that are blocking safety operations such as plowing, but it is also within their purview to impose fiscal penalties. We would be wise to remember that State Park Rangers are a branch of law enforcement.
Recommendation:
1. We (uphill skiers) need to be our own police. This means we as users need to say something to our peers in-person or online when we see a lack of compliance. Dogs in the resort, even when the resort is closed. Use of the designated uphill route (not crossing a race course). Starting too early. Each of these situations warrants leadership from uphill users to create the environment that can be supported by Mt Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park. If we don't lead the way, not only by setting the example, but holding others to the rules of the space, penalty is the only, and inevitable, outcome.
2. We as leaders of this interest group can identify how to best channel our request for a time change to the State Parks Board. We can provide a pathway for these requests from users to be heard. I honestly don't know if it is a letter campaign, a group meeting with Park Rangers, etc. Whatever the pathway, creating a place for user interest in making a time change would be helpful for everyone. We also need to be honest that shifting the park open time for uphill use is likely a multi-year endeavor.
2a. Is anyone currently attending the Friends of Mt Spokane group meetings to discuss these issues with other Mt Spokane State Park user interests? I would be interested in putting a few on my calendar.

On another note there are some cool BC Ski events the Spokane Mountaineers are putting on this week and next. I outline all of it on my post from yesterday... www.bcskifriends.com Come to one of the events and let's chat more!
Thanks for sharing this. Saw someone making their way up the uphill route with their dog last weekend...

-BC

Last edited:
Soap box moment here. I took a lap this morning and upon finishing this is what I witnessed. A female in her 20's heading up the uphill route with an off leash dog. I continued to watch this obviously self absorbed individual ascend the route and at various moments witnessed the dog no less than a hundred yards from its owner in the middle of Hourglass. All I could do is say "wow" amongst a bunch of other expletives. If I was closer I would have told them they are going to ruin it for everyone. The uphill inbounds policy clearly states "no dogs", state park policy is "dogs on leash". The ski area takes on liability by offering uphill traffic especially during normal operating hours, if the ski area decides that the liability is too great to allow uphill traffic then say goodbye to the only option many of us have for uphill travel. It was stated earlier "we need to police ourselves" this is a great example of why we need to do it. Dogs are cute, I have one, he stays at home, or joins me at the Nordic area when allowed. End of soap box.