Mt Spokane Uphill Travel Meeting

I received an email from Travis Nichols this morning that seems relevant to this thread:

“Mt. Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park has a meeting setup for January 16th from 6-8pm at the Argonne Library 4322 N Argonne Rd. The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss issues related to uphill travel within the boundary of the Ski Area, and to seek input from user groups so a safe and enjoyable uphill policy can be established.“ Contact Mt. Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park for questions: 509-238-2200 http://www.mtspokane.com/

I am not familiar with the issues surrounding uphill travel at Mt. Spokane but this seemed worthy of an FYI.
http://www.mtspokane.com/

idsnowghost

Staff member
Thanks for passing this information on!

I moved your post it's own thread, since it's pretty important for those who skin Mt Spokane.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Attached is the draft plan (they want to charge $40 for an uphill pass with heavy restrictions):

Draft updated 12/12/13
Mt. Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park-Uphill Mountain Policy (earn your turns safely)
It is your responsibility to read through the entire Uphill Travel Policy and study the Access Routes if you plan to travel uphill at Mt. Spokane

Mount Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park and the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission (WSPRC) encourage use of public land. Users should be aware that public lands comprising the Mt. Spokane Alpine Ski Concession Area are under lease to Mt. Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park from WSPRC. While enjoying these leased lands, users must abide by Mt. Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park and WSPRC’s restrictions, policies, and guidelines. Uphill use by means of skinning has gained popularity at Mt. Spokane in recent years. This type of recreational use raises safety concerns for the ski area as well as its uphill and downhill users. Mt. Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park welcomes and supports individuals seeking to exercise and enjoy the quiet mountain setting. Uphill users can help preserve this opportunity by following these simple guidelines:

General
Within the Mt Spokane Ski Area Boundary, uphill travel is permitted only on designated routes under conditions that do not adversely impact grooming, parking, snow removal, maintenance or other ski area operations.

All uphill travelers in the patrolled ski area boundary are considered skiers and are required to have an uphill use pass armband. Uphill passes are available at the Snow Sports Center at the main lodge, during operating hours. Uphill pass users will be required to watch a short informational video and sign an acknowledgement waiver. Uphill Passes are issued for the entire season, and are $20 for existing season pass holders and $40 for non-pass holders.

Specific routes may be closed at any given time due to safety or hazardous conditions. These conditions include but are not limited to; hazard trees, construction, and grooming or maintenance operations. Check the Mt. Spokane Snow Report for notices of closures or route changes.

Hourglass, No Alibi and Two Face often necessitate the use of a winch grooming system to maintain managed slopes. Extreme safety hazards present themselves to users during winch operations.

Uphill travelers must be visible (by wearing headlamps during hours of darkness) and yield to all downhill traffic whether person or machine. Uphill travelers are subject to RCW 79A.45.030, the Skier Responsibility Code and other Mt Spokane rules and policies. Mt Spokane accepts no liability or responsibility for accidents that occur as a result of uphill travel. RCW 4.24.210

Users are welcome to travel outside of the ski area boundary using Washington State Parks trail systems in accordance with subjective policies. The standard summit route for skiers and snowshoers starts at the Lower Selkirk Parking Lot. It ascends Trail 131, skirts left along the lower edge of B-29 to Trail 130, passes the Bald Knob Picnic Shelter and then ascends to the Mt. Spokane summit straight up the fall line staying south of the patrolled boundary. Once on the summit, it is permissible to hike north to the Vista House. Access to Trail 130 and the Chair 4 Road in the northeast corner of the park is permitted via a short descent to the right side of the tubing hill and then ascending the groomed access road to the trail. An uphill alpine pass is not needed to use these routes.

Click here to see a map of appropriate parking and trail options.

ALWAYS
  • Travel uphill only on the designated route.
  • Stay completely to the edge of ski trails; do not hike or stand in the middle of a ski trail.
  • Observe posted signs, warnings, and trail closures.
  • Be alert for & yield to downhill skiers.
  • Yield to and/or avoid all ski area machinery.
NEVER
  • Stop in high-traffic zones, where you are likely to obstruct a trail, or where you are not visible to downhill traffic.
  • Hike, stand, or otherwise position more than two people side-by-side across the fall line.
  • Bring pets out of parking areas during ski season.
Designated Routes/Times
B29 Route-Ascent: This designated route begins at the base of Lodge One and travels uphill to the junction with B-29 and follows the outside edge of the groomed trail to the uphill junction with Tea Kettle. Uphill Traffic follows the outside edge of Tea Kettle adjacent to the ski area boundary to the summit of the mountain. Uphill travelers must stay on the trail edge closest to the ski area boundary.

Route Availability:

6am-9:10am On operational days, normally Wednesday-Sunday, except Holidays. Exceptions will include 3-5 weekends per season when there are ski race events. At 9:10am, skinners must be transitioned to downhill skiers regardless of where they are on the trail. Upon transitioning to downhill travel, all skiers are subject to the same notices and closures of a downhill skier and must abide by ski area policy and regulation. Downhill Skiers are subject to the Skier Responsibility Code printed on tickets and other Mt Spokane rules and policies. Prior to 9:10am, the decent route is limited to Tea Kettle/B29 only. After 9:10am, any run can be skied.

6am-4pm On non-operational days…Mondays and Tuesdays (except Holidays)

Skiing and snowshoeing is permitted within the patrolled boundary when the lifts are not operating until grooming operations begin (6AM-4PM Mondays and Tuesdays except holiday periods) An Uphill Pass is not required during these times, however a Sno-Park permit is required on all vehicles. Grooming normally begins at 4:00pm on Tuesday evening.

Parking
Uphill users, prior to operating hours need to follow specific instructions to allow safe and unobstructed traffic flow. On weekday mornings users should park nose in against the uphill snow bank adjacent to Lodge 1, between the two driveways. On weekend mornings uphill users should park in the employee parking area south (uphill) of lodge 1.

Roadways at Mt Spokane are cleared by the Washington State Parks. Blocking the clearing of snow on a fresh snowfall day can impede safe traffic flow and user experience. On new snow mornings where snowfall is actively being cleared please adhere to parking guidelines and be sensitive to the goals of park snowplows and accommodate their path of travel wherever possible.

Parking prior to ski area operational hours, or on non-operational days requires the use of a SNO-PARK Permit. More information on Sno-Park Permits can be found here: http://www.parks.wa.gov/winter/nonmotorparks/permits/

Permits must be clearly displayed or subjected to appropriate fines/tickets.

Pets
Dogs are not permitted within the alpine ski area except in the parking lots. Outside the boundary of the ski area, dogs must be leashed and under their owner’s control at all times.

My brain (or wallet) is going to explode if I have to by one more pass. Seriously, I won't be able to see through my windshield soon. Discover Pass, Groomed trails permit, State Parks season parking pass, Fish and Game permit.... where does it end? Bummer if it comes to that

PowderPanda

Staff member
Brandon,
Just had that discussion last night. WHAT are we paying for on the $40 pass? Are they going to groom special track up for us? We are doing everything on our own power.. and the snow park/Discover pass goes towards paying for grooming etc.. Do snowmobilers pay an extra fee?
I plan on going to the meeting, however I fear that the minds have fully been made up.

The one thing I have going for me.. I can sled up the summit road and take out much of the time then skin up the back side avoiding all that crap on open days.

I think the $40 thing just got to me. I'm out roughly $100 this year so far just for uphilling to avoid pricy lift tickets... ha! So much far that. I do understand that the ski area carries a certain amount of liability and provides a service in grooming and ski patrol though. Hopefully I'll meet some of you guys at the meeting and we can start a 'culture' of uphillers here in our neck of the woods. I dream of a local rando race series amongst all the local resorts, that'd be awesome.

I'll definitely be there, just up the street from me

i think the 40 dollar pass thing is kinda nonsense, specially cause you already need a discover pass in the summer and a snopark pass in the winter, the closest mountain to spokanistan is basically closed to the public without fees.

also, the 20 dollars for people with a pass is BS

I think the liability issue is weighing heavily on their minds and they're afraid of change. Uphill travel at resorts is not new, but the majority of these guys see us as a fringe group of neckbeards. Hopefully at the meeting we can encourage them to work with us. The $40 isn't a bad investment if it buys us some respect (and wiggle room with the proposed policy).
My talking points: Stop ascending at 9:10 am? So should I take off the split and walk with the other 20+ snowshoers marching up the hill throughout the day? What's the policy for hikers? Yeah, bullshit.
Prior to 9:10 descent, only tea kettle /B29 prior? rrriiiigghhhhttt... That's second lap descent time, and it'll be right under chair 1 next the first line. Not gonna happen if i pay $40.

PowderPanda

Staff member
I think the liability issue is weighing heavily on their minds and they're afraid of change. Uphill travel at resorts is not new, but the majority of these guys see us as a fringe group of neckbeards. Hopefully at the meeting we can encourage them to work with us. The $40 isn't a bad investment if it buys us some respect (and wiggle room with the proposed policy).
My talking points: Stop ascending at 9:10 am? So should I take off the split and walk with the other 20+ snowshoers marching up the hill throughout the day? What's the policy for hikers? Yeah, bullshit.
Prior to 9:10 descent, only tea kettle /B29 prior? rrriiiigghhhhttt... That's second lap descent time, and it'll be right under chair 1 next the first line. Not gonna happen if i pay $40.

Yup… I agree ChiliHyena. Got it in my calendar to be there as well!!

• Seemed willing to work with bc people for a better policy
  • $40 fee is probably not going to happen; sign-in kiosk at the bottom of chair 1
  • 6:00 am gate opening might be in the works :)
  • 6am-9:10am ascent and descent route is the standard route (B-29ish)
    • they'd like us to stay on groomed for the descent on operational days. Hahahahah, sure... There will be no extra policing, so I think this amounts to wishful thinking on their part.
  • Off the hill by 4 pm (but call'm if you're overnighting; see my other thread on mnt spokane)
  • Buy a sno-park permit. It really is worth it and the manager is legit, plus a must-have for dawn patrol
  • No uphill during operational hours in the skihill boundaries (on open days)
  • Park at chair 1 uphill facing, or in employee area

idsnowghost

Staff member
In related news.. here's the word from 49 Degrees North on uphill travel:

The uphill travel policy here at 49 N is: No uphill travel in the Alpine area during hours of operation. Before and after ok. There are uphill travel options on the Nordic system requiring a Nordic pass and available during hours of operation.

idsnowghost

Staff member
In case you missed the email this morning from Mt Spokane Manager, Brad:
We are close to launching the dedicated B29 morning route. I still need to get this up on the website and build a trailhead kiosk, but should be able to get that done this week. I will let you know when it is open to the public.
Final Mt Spokane Uphill Travel Policy:
Mt. Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park-Uphill Mountain Policy (earn your turns safely)
It is your responsibility to read through the entire Uphill Travel Policy and study the Access Routes if you plan to travel uphill at Mt. Spokane

Mount Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park and the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission (WSPRC) encourage use of public land. Users should be aware that public lands comprising the Mt. Spokane Alpine Ski Concession Area are under lease to Mt. Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park from WSPRC. While enjoying these leased lands, users must abide by Mt. Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park and WSPRC’s restrictions, policies, and guidelines. Uphill use by means of skinning has gained popularity at Mt. Spokane in recent years. This type of recreational use raises safety concerns for the ski area as well as its uphill and downhill users. Mt. Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park welcomes and supports individuals seeking to exercise and enjoy the quiet mountain setting. Uphill users can help preserve this opportunity by following these simple guidelines:

General
Within the Mt Spokane Ski Area Boundary, uphill travel is permitted only on designated routes under conditions that do not adversely impact grooming, parking, snow removal, maintenance or other ski area operations.

All uphill travelers in the patrolled ski area boundary are considered skiers and are required to familiarize themselves with this policy as well as the Skier’s Responsibility Code: http://www.mtspokane.com/first-timers-guide

Specific routes may be closed at any given time due to safety or hazardous conditions. These conditions include but are not limited to; hazard trees, construction, and grooming or maintenance operations. Check the Mt. Spokane Snow Report for notices of closures or route changes.

Hourglass, No Alibi and Two Face often necessitate the use of a winch grooming system to maintain managed slopes. Extreme safety hazards present themselves to users during winch operations.

Uphill travelers must be visible (by wearing headlamps during hours of darkness) and yield to all downhill traffic whether person or machine. Uphill travelers are subject to RCW 79A.45.030, the Skier Responsibility Code and other Mt Spokane rules and policies. Mt Spokane accepts no liability or responsibility for accidents that occur as a result of uphill travel. RCW 4.24.210

Users are welcome to travel outside of the ski area boundary using Washington State Parks trail systems in accordance with subjective policies. The standard summit route for skiers and snowshoers starts at the Lower Selkirk Parking Lot. It ascends Trail 131, skirts left along the lower edge of B-29 to Trail 130, passes the Bald Knob Picnic Shelter and then ascends to the Mt. Spokane summit straight up the fall line staying south of the patrolled boundary. Once on the summit, it is permissible to hike north to the Vista House. Access to Trail 130 and the Chair 4 Road in the northeast corner of the park is permitted via a short descent to the right side of the tubing hill and then ascending the groomed access road to the trail. An uphill alpine pass is not needed to use these routes.

Click here to see a map of appropriate parking and trail options.

ALWAYS
  • Travel uphill only on the designated route.
  • Stay completely to the edge of ski trails; do not hike or stand in the middle of a ski trail.
  • Observe posted signs, warnings, and trail closures.
  • Be alert for & yield to downhill skiers.
  • Yield to and/or avoid all ski area machinery.
NEVER
  • Stop in high-traffic zones, where you are likely to obstruct a trail, or where you are not visible to downhill traffic.
  • Hike, stand, or otherwise position more than two people side-by-side across the fall line.
  • Bring pets out of parking areas during ski season.
Designated Routes/Times
B29 Route-Ascent: This designated route begins at the base of Lodge One and travels uphill, on the far left side (looking uphill) to the junction with B-29 and follows the outside edge of the groomed trail to the uphill junction with Tea Kettle. Uphill Traffic follows the outside edge of Tea Kettle adjacent to the ski area boundary to the summit of the mountain. Uphill travelers must stay on the trail edge closest to the ski area boundary (left when travelling uphill).

Route Availability:

6:30am-9:10am On operational days, normally Wednesday-Sunday, except Holidays. Exceptions will include 3-5 weekends per season when there are ski race events. At 9:10am, skinners must be transitioned to downhill skiers regardless of where they are on the trail. Upon transitioning to downhill travel, all skiers are subject to the same notices and closures of a downhill skier and must abide by ski area policy and regulation. Downhill Skiers are subject to the Skier Responsibility Code printed on tickets and other Mt Spokane rules and policies. See http://www.mtspokane.com/first-timers-guide

Prior to 9:10am, the decent route is limited to Tea Kettle/B29 only. After 9:10am, any Open run can be skied.

On non-operational days…6:30am until Dusk on Mondays and 6:30am-4pm on Tuesdays (except Holidays) Access is also granted on Sunday evenings, after the ski area has closed, and the runs have been swept and cleared, usually 4:30pm until the Park closes at Dusk.

Skiing and snowshoeing is permitted within the patrolled boundary when the lifts are not operating until grooming operations begin (6:30AM-Dusk on Mondays and 6:30AM-4PM Tuesdays except holiday periods) An Uphill Pass is not required during these times, however a Sno-Park permit is required on all vehicles. Grooming normally begins at 4:00pm on Tuesday evening.

Parking
Uphill users, prior to operating hours need to follow specific instructions to allow safe and unobstructed traffic flow. On weekday mornings users should park nose in against the uphill snow bank adjacent to Lodge 1, between the two driveways. On weekend mornings uphill users should park in the employee parking area south (uphill) of lodge 1.

Roadways at Mt Spokane are cleared by the Washington State Parks. Blocking the clearing of snow on a fresh snowfall day can impede safe traffic flow and user experience. On new snow mornings where snowfall is actively being cleared please adhere to parking guidelines and be sensitive to the goals of park snowplows and accommodate their path of travel wherever possible.

Parking prior to ski area operational hours, or on non-operational days requires the use of a SNO-PARK Permit. More information on Sno-Park Permits can be found here: http://www.parks.wa.gov/winter/nonmotorparks/permits/

Permits must be clearly displayed or subjected to appropriate fines/tickets.

Pets
Dogs are not permitted within the alpine ski area except in the parking lots. Outside the boundary of the ski area, dogs must be leashed and under their owner’s control at all times.