Low Angle Dog Walk Tours in the Panhandle

Hey all! Experienced skier new to the area (Coeur d'Alene for now) and hoping for some intel on low hanging fruit re: easy access terrain where I can park and skin and get a few turns in with my dog. Not looking to get crazy as I'm pregnant this season, just want options to be able to get out on the skis safely away from crowded resorts (we were spoiled with our last location and 75% of our touring was off forest service roads where only sleds and a few local ski folks got out). Thanks in advance for anything you can share.

Also totally open to touring partners and car pooling. Considering a pass (Schweitzer or Silver maybe) but always prefer earning my turns. Bring on the snow!

Hi, Emma here - this will be my second season in N Idaho! Most of my touring last season was out towards the MT boarder, Lookout Pass or a little before at West Willow with friends/some guys from this forum. From what I've learned, West Willow or the training grounds by lookout are the only easy to access w/o a sled, low-angle options in the area. I've also done some solo skinning in-bounds at Mt. Spokane, none of the ID resorts allow inbounds uphill travel. Also trying to decide on a pass, but would love another touring partner regardless!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Yup.. what @EmmSaa said.. those are the best bets for low angle easy access besides Rabbit Gulch in the Burke canyon area (it is a 2 mile skin into the area). That said, it is probably the funnest bunny pow you'll find with excellent views at the very top looking toward the Blossom Lakes area and surrounds... Anything beyond rabbit though takes route finding and avy savy.

Reach out of you'd like some access info for there.
Cheers,
PP

Also interested in some low angle, chill tour days this season; especially dawn patrol / mid-week. Shoot me a message if you ever want to link up! Rehabing from a femur fracture and like to get the dog out as much as possible, so definitely down with the "nothing crazy" vibe, especially for early season.

Welcome to the area! I have a 3 year old Aussie and we used to take her up to the “training grounds” quite a bit which are right across the highway from lookout but it can get pretty crowded over there. Would be down to explore some new areas that are mellow and dog friendly for her. She loves making dog friends too and is very socialized.