Level 2

Hi All,

Looking for insight about level 2 avalanche classes. Do you have any recommendations? I saw the SOLE post and need to look at other options because of the dates unfortunately.

Also, any tips about the different groups? AAA vs AAI vs AIARE?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hi All,

Looking for insight about level 2 avalanche classes. Do you have any recommendations? I saw the SOLE post and need to look at other options because of the dates unfortunately.

Also, any tips about the different groups? AAA vs AAI vs AIARE?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

AIARE
If you can't make SOLE, there are some great classes by NorthWest Mountain School out of Leavenworth, WA
http://www.mountainschool.com/content/main/aiare-level-2-avalanche-course-washington/
They have 4 dates available. John and Olivia Race are super rad with great instructors.

Here is a list of all AIARE course nation wide, which will give you all kinds of options.
https://aiare.info/course_list.php

I don't know enough about AAI. But here is there course info, the closest for them is Bozeman, MT:
https://www.americanavalancheinstitute.com/level-2/

Cheers!

Thanks for the Leavenworth info and the encouragement to look north (I've definitely looked).

Have you both been out with sawtooth mtn guides for their ski mountaineering class? How would you compare that experience and learning to a level 2 course?

Thanks again for your help!

We have both been out with Sawtooth Mtn Guides. I'll let Larry elaborate on his experience. Mine was super positive. I've been out with them twice actually. Both times were excellent! My opinion is that the weather and conditions will dictate your experience. If the weather is good, expect lots of riding and skiing during the day and instruction at night at the yurt while you relax. If the weather or conditions are not as ideal, expect more rope work and hands on experience in the field. My second trip was a little bit of both. We nailed some classic lines during the good weather and also spent a whole day learning and actually doing ropes and setting up anchors and rapels on the bad weather day. I think Larry and Mike were both spoiled with great weather and lots of lines. I definitely do not think you would regret a trip with them!!! That being said, I am also pursuing an Avy Level 2 still after that class. I'm planning on doing it up at Rogers Pass maybe out of the Asulkun Hut.

Nice. Thanks Jason for the info and cool to hear about your experience. Both definitely sound interesting to me, and I'm at the point where I'm eight years out from my level 1 and definitely want to keep learning and growing in my backcountry travel, so this beta is helpful. I'll have to look into the Asulkun Hut deal. Good stuff!

Landon

PowderPanda

Staff member
Lec...
As Kpow said.. The Sawtooth Ski/Splitboard Mountaineering course is great.
Weather and your specific groups ability (groups of 4) on how much you can experience. They will take you to where you can push your limits.
That said, the ski mountaineering course is not a substitute for Avy II course. Although they talk about snow conditions and what your looking at when in the mtns, there is no formal avy training.

The course at Downey mtn Hamilton is being taught by Chris, the owner lead guide of Saetooths. His background is immense.

As for Canada, yes.. Superb courses there. And if you could take it at Rogers Pass like Jason.. Totally recommended. Rogers is the most Avalanche active pass in North America. With so many different zones that have different snow types. It would be a great learning experience!!

Oh... And what's not to like about the exchange rate: 1.32 today.

Cheers!

Group of 4 of us signed up for level 2 at Downing Mountain Lodge. We are heading out a few days before the class begins to get some skiing in. Let's get a solid Panhandlebackcountry presence there! Anyone who is interested should get on the registration - it's filling up fast!