How bad?

I was at lookout yesterday and was quite disappointed with how warm this last system was. Lots of wet heavy snow. Then crusty below 5400 in the ski area. Anyone get out of silver valley or somewhere with better news that some zones survived and might provide decent turns during this high pressure sunshine?

PowderPanda

Staff member
I was at lookout yesterday and was quite disappointed with how warm this last system was. Lots of wet heavy snow. Then crusty below 5400 in the ski area. Anyone get out of silver valley or somewhere with better news that some zones survived and might provide decent turns during this high pressure sunshine?
Same issue out of Burke.. basically, it appears the whole south end of the panhandle got the nasty crust. I do know there was some up in the upper Selkirk' too.. just not as bad.

Went way north to find good snow today after a very disappointing “powder day” at Silver on Saturday. Found bone dry blower pow in the Kettle range, but relatively thin snowpack and fairly sketchy avalanche hazard. Great skiing up there, but keep your head on a swivel!

If anyone is out and about in the Silver Valley today, a conditions update would be much appreciated. Specifically, I'm wondering if it rained at the tail-end of the storm again. Thanks!

Welp, I can't say that's what I wanted to hear, but it is exactly the info I needed. Thanks!

Last edited:

PowderPanda

Staff member
If anyone is out and about in the Silver Valley today, a conditions update would be much appreciated. Specifically, I'm wondering if it rained at the tail-end of the storm again. Thanks!
Yah.. Friday the snow got super heavy fairly early. We left at Silver about 1p.. Then Sat was good until 1030 with the new snow, however went to smagma by 1030a below about 5500ft.