hey does anyone want to do some backcountry??

I'm looking for group or anybody who would like to hike up the cabinet mountains near Clark Fork Idaho and do some backcountry skiing around Spring Break ish. I have hiked it in the summer and it looked like a great ride!!!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Oooh Spring timish.. I think I can speak for MikeyB.. we would be in for that. I want more exposure to that area!!
Keep us in mind and the area.. If ya can, send us a quick hit list of your thoughts so we can do beta before heading!

BTW.. Welcome aboard!!!

PowderPanda

Staff member
What are the dates? I may be interested!
JasonK.. It is completely up to WHEN they open the road. I start watching the progress on the road and I'll post updates starting in mid-April.

The road opens somewhere between Mid-June to Mid-July. It all depends on snow removal and if there are a lot of late storms.
One year it was late July, with over 15ft of snow a the pass… It was awesome. I took 3 trips that summer!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Teledance… I spaced when commenting as I was thinking about Logan Pass @ Glacier Nat Park.. I Forgot we have an inside edge to the local goods with you!!!
BTW.. Looks like we have some precip coming in Fri/Fri night!!! Hope it stays low enough!!

As far as I know the only peaks that are reasonably accessible without a sled are Star Peak near Noxon and Roundtop up Trestle Creek. Scotchman is definitely doable, but add another 500' and a few miles to get to the TH in the winter. I don't really make it up this way too often, but I always think that Lightning Creek shouldn't have that much, if any, snow on it. It stays around 2400' for miles as it winds back in there. Do they gate the road? If not, with the weather we've had the past week and the lack of low elevation snow in general this year, I feel like it should be fairly clear. Has anyone ever checked it out?

idsnowghost

Staff member
I don't really make it up this way too often, but I always think that Lightning Creek shouldn't have that much, if any, snow on it. It stays around 2400' for miles as it winds back in there. Do they gate the road? If not, with the weather we've had the past week and the lack of low elevation snow in general this year, I feel like it should be fairly clear. Has anyone ever checked it out?
Groomer hit Lightning Creek on 3/2.. guessing it's still snowed in. Remember they get a ton of precip in that area, wettest spot in the state.