Gold and Moon Passes open (5/10)

idsnowghost

Staff member
Saw this nugget in today's road status report:
50 Forest Highway - St. Joe River Road/Gold Pass:

Open to 79 mile marker. Report of a logger plowing the pass open, possibly open, use caution on approach.
Gold Pass is between the St Joe River (past Avery) and St Regis Montana on the ID/MT divide. This pass sits at 5800 feet. If the road is clear of snow, should be 2wd friendly. True road side skiing with short skins up Summit Springs ridge to the North. Hoodoo Basin SNOTEL located nearby and simliar elevation, reporting 90 inches (after losing about 20" this past week).

Longer adventures possible up to Ward Peak (7300ft) via snow covered NF-391... Pretty sure NF-391 allows any motorized vehicle, including sleds for easy access.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Moon Pass also open as of 5/2.
Moon Pass Rd. #456 (Wallace to Avery):

Open (*Watch for snow removal equipment)
This one lies between Wallace (Placer Creek Rd) and Avery at just under 5000ft. 2wd friendly. Pretty limited skiing here, but a few slopes West of the pass towards Moon Peak. Also offers an alternate route up to Gold Hill and Stevens Peak ridgeline via Trail 16.

Photo I took last year showing limited skiing about 100 yds from the road:

moonpass.jpg

idsnowghost

Staff member
While we are on passes opening.. should mention Thompson Pass Montana (4900ft) between Murray, ID and Thompson Falls, Montana has also been open since early April. (Earliest opening in years)

Heard of a few people making it up there a couple weeks ago, and they reported 4 feet at the pass. Haven't heard anything more recent. This one is totally paved the entire way. Probably getting close to past it's prime now but skiing is on the North facing slopes up around the lakes.

Half way up to Revett Lake on Memorial weekend last year,
Granite Peak (6815ft) on right:
IMG_1717.jpg

idsnowghost

Staff member
Moon Pass is rocking right now. Larry and I both made it up there (on separate mornings :()

South facing slopes only have about a week or two left, but everything is well covered to the West of the pass. Didn't probe for depth but looking at the tree wells, I'd say there's more than 4-5 feet on the ridges.

idsnowghost

Staff member
Gold Pass is plowed and passable as of today per Superior Ranger.

The road is completely paved from Avery on the Idaho side, and gravel on the Montana side to St Regis. The quicker route is obviously via I-90 through St Regis. Probably going to check it out in the next week..