Glacier National Park Logan Pass Tour 2014

PowderPanda

Staff member
07/02/14
We are ON like Donky Kong!!! Pass is open this weekend for July 4th Holiday.
We are staying at the Mini Golden Motel in Hungry Horse.. Just 10 min's from West Glacier.

I'm aware of Max and Shane going, if you want to go.. let us know!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glaciernps/14326517617/

There are several people staying at the Avalanche camp ground in Glacier, a group staying at Mini Golden Inn Motel in Hungry Horse, just down the road.

If you need info.. feel free to post or send a PM and we'll get ya lined up!!

Panda

I have heard from a few people about dates to go. Maybe the weekend of June 20th-22nd or alternate weekend if they do not open: 27th-29th (if this, JasonK if you can switch shifts!!!). This will give enough time to arrange.
Please send us your thoughts and if you would like to go!!

There area lot of options for lodging or camping up in that area.. If someone has a camper trailer would be awesome to have a base camp at the bottom. I'm looking at seeing if renting one is an option. At least one night and then the last night in a hotel to clean up.

If you stay in Kalispell, it is about 35 minutes from West Glacier… then another 1-1.5 hrs drive up the pass (depending on tourist traffic). The earlier the drive up.. the less tourists as they are lazy!! LoL

Glacier has camping and there is accommodations all around in Columbia Falls, Kalispell and Whitefish.

This is truly a premier trip as the skiing is in some of the most beautiful landscape with wildlife abound!

The touring can range from easy skiing on the mellow lower slopes to some big kick ass couloirs with 50 degree slopes.

Start thinking about it now… It's only about 2months away and goes by quickly. I will post updates on the conditions and thoughts for accommodations as we get closer!

Top of couloir I met a friend… If he wanted to charge me.. It would have been a LOOOONG slide down, into rocks.
DSCF6080.jpg

Looking down the couloir and my friend moved to the rocks below…

DSCF6091.jpg

Looking up the couloir.. before I knew my friend was waiting! LoL
DSCF6077.jpg

Looking back at the main headwall.. Lots of mellower terrain lays below.
DSCF6113.jpg

Last edited:

idsnowghost

Staff member
End of the season? Pssh.. I think we'll be skiing places like Twin Peaks into late-July this year. :D

But that's besides the point.. this is a super fun trip and a great way for most people to wrap up the season. The scenery and the unique experience you get while traveling on skis/boards up there is pretty amazing!

The headwall in Panda's photos is also the Continental Divide. It's a nice place to eat lunch with views of Hidden Lake and the basin behind. As Panda mentioned, there's plenty of terrain options out of Logan Pass and 'tailgating' with gawking tourists and big horn sheep in the parking lot. It's skins on with shorts and t-shirts from the lot usually. The skinning is easy up to the base of the headwall/peaks and actually not a bad place to take a newbie. There's also some sketchier lines in other areas of the park, like Iceberg Notch on the east end.

As you might of guessed.. crampons and ice axe/ski pole whippet (and knowing how to self-arrest) are a must for ascending/skiing anything steep here.

Plowing progress photo feed: https://www.flickr.com/photos/glaciernps

Well work is putting me in Kalispell on the 20th so I'm thinking (yes it hurts) a ski day on Sat. then back home for chores, Staying Sat. night is an option, but chores aren't.

We will probably look at camping in the park both Friday and Saturday night. I see Avalanche campground opens that Friday. If not there then either Sprague Creek, Apgar, or Fish Creek.

Sounds like I'll try and camp at Avalanche, no pampered hotels for me. Otherwise I'd camp on cheap/free FS lands.

Beers out of the cooler cost less, too.

I wish I could make this trip!!! I am headed across the pond today and won't be back until next week. Have fun and stay safe guys! Post lots of pics!

Any of you staying at Avalanche Creek CG, for sure? Thinking I might be solo, so looking to hook up and hang out with others that are staying there and bagging Logan Pass for the gathering. Shane 509-434-8206

idsnowghost

Staff member
Hey guys, I'd be prepared for the possibility the pass will not open this weekend. No announcement either way has been made yet. In the case it's still closed, sounds like many folks will try again the following weekend (June 27-29). Should know for sure by end of today or tomorrow.

I leave for Kalispell tomorrow sure hope we know by tonight. Still planning on camping at Avalanche if they open the pass.

Will check Thursday afternoon but if there is no definite opening I'm going to pass on the trip, I will let conditions stabilize and might try later. This was my open weekend, sure hope they post something.

Last edited:

PowderPanda

Staff member
Max,
I'll call on Wed to see how the road work is going… MikeyB is also looking at the weekend of the 11th, which I doubt I can make. But the following weekend I can of sure..